icon

2 dr 95 honda civic, 6x9 install

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
iairj84 
Copper - Posts: 83
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2004 at 12:29 AM / IP Logged  
OK i have a nice pair of 6x9's but the stock speakers are 5'1/4 These are for the rear deck in a 2 dr 95 honda civic. I am wondering what kind of metal work is gonna need to be done to make these fit? i dont want to start cutting without any knowledge of where exactly im going, or how hard of a job it may be... if you can help, it would be apreciated!
xTimx 
Copper - Posts: 354
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2004 at 1:31 AM / IP Logged  
ok..first of all things..you NEED to look around and find out where your going to be puttin these things (obviously) rip apart the rear and find the 5 1/4 speakers and look around for any wires...if you have any room what so ever and you really wanna be safe and ur wanting to cut out the metal to fit the 6x9's, use a hack saw and not a grinder..you'll burn everything in the car unless you have some kind of protective covering of some sort. but cutting it with a hack you'll know you wont be burning anything and its safe, but it'll take a hell of a long time to do though. i hope this will help...
staudio 
Member - Posts: 41
Member spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2004 at 3:18 AM / IP Logged  
if its just for sound and you have no intentions of showing them off, I'd say get some 1/2" thick MDF and make a pair of 6x9" cutouts adding some spacers, cardboard will work for a budget but its proably best to use something rubber or foam, between the MDF cutouts and the metal, then use some self tapering screws or some small bolts to mount the 6x9"s in the hole where the 5 1/4 speakers use to be.  This is only recomened if your not showing the system as it can be removed and returned to stock with only some small holes left in the metal.
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 14, 2004 at 12:19 PM / IP Logged  

Did your new speakers come with grills?  An old trick I was taught a while back is to pop the grill loose from it's holder, flip the holder over to use as a spacer.  Then just screw your new speakers in and do the wiring.  This will only work if the baskets are not too deep, otherwise you'll still have to do some cutting.  Why not just take the easy way out and set some 6X9 boxes up on the rear deck?

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2004 at 12:40 PM / IP Logged  
Or even better is to get rid of the 6x9's and find a good pair of speakers that will fit.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
staudio 
Member - Posts: 41
Member spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2004 at 2:42 PM / IP Logged  
"Or even better is to get rid of the 6x9's and find a good pair of speakers that will fit."
lol, but that would be too practical!!! lol
iairj84 
Copper - Posts: 83
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2004 at 11:51 PM / IP Logged  
Exactly... I want something that isnt easy, well correction, i want it to be easy, but not something usual or normal... i know i cant have both but im willing to work to make these speakers work.. im thinking a 3/4 inch spacer would work. any more help would be apreciated!
killerc 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: January 15, 2004 at 12:27 AM / IP Logged  

it's sawzall time baby!

it's a westbank thang

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic