icon

what brand is a good DMM

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Clean Install 
Silver - Posts: 446
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 17, 2004 at 2:45 AM / IP Logged  

I looked at some meters at sears the model #73 not badly priced I also looked at the 111 dmm and the 112 dmm, the 112 meter said it had IEC CAT III 600V safety rating, which teken mentioned, is this good? and do most meters have this rating?

thanks for your help

Doug

Teken 
Gold - Posts: 1,492
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 17, 2004 at 12:02 PM / IP Logged  
Doug,
I would suggest that you go with the 73 / 77 model. The primary reason is that it offers a Lifetime warranty, and the other 111 / 112 only offer a 3 year warranty.
All three meters are great choices. But, just so you know you will find much better, and more competitive prices on the internet.
So, my suggestion is to first go down and read over all the specifications via the fluke web site. Then go down to your friendly sears store, and play with them.
Having one in your hand, will let you know if this is the type of meter you need. You want to be comfortable with the tools you have at hand. So spend a few minutes asking questions and using the features, to see if they do what you need.
Any of the Fluke products will do what you ask, and will do them well. It comes down to costs, features, and warranty.
For the average *Shade Tree Mech* I would go with the unit with a Lifetime warranty, just in case.
Regards
EVIL Teken . . .
Teken 
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 17, 2004 at 12:05 PM / IP Logged  
Also, the four levels of CAT are more important *IF* sometime down the road you will be working in alot of residential and commercial applications.
It will protect you from single and three phase over voltage conditions.
Better to have, then to need later . . .
This is one of those tools which you do not want to skimp on, as your safety is the paramount reason for selecting a great product that will be accurate, perform consistently, and protect you in an event of a over voltage condition.
Just my thoughts on that
Regards
EVIL Teken . . .
Clean Install 
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 17, 2004 at 7:30 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks, Teken 4 your help
catdoogan 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2004 at 11:51 PM / IP Logged  

Fluke 73 ser 3 is a deadly meter.  600v cat 2 spec.  You shouldn't need anymore than that unless you are planning to do some high voltage work anyways.

Had mine for 3 yrs now and it hasn't missed a beat and has everything I need.

Happy shopping!

Clean Install 
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2004 at 11:54 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the reply Catdoogan
If we learn from each success and
each failure, then we can improve ourselves
HeathMac 
Copper - Posts: 46
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2004 at 2:30 PM / IP Logged  
ive been installing profesionaly for 7 years now and fluke is the only meter in my opinion, cheap meters are exactly that CHEAP if its somthing your going to be relying on pay the extra cash and get the best
NowYaKnow 
Gold - Posts: 1,217
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2004 at 7:02 PM / IP Logged  
Well I finally picked up my meter and went with the Fluke 73 III. It has all the basics you need for this industry not many people need anything above it. Went for I think $134.99 at Sears. It should hold me over until I get my old faithful radio shack meter fixed.
Mike
Teken 
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 25, 2004 at 2:46 PM / IP Logged  
NowYaKnow wrote:
It should hold me over until I get my old faithful radio shack meter fixed.
LMAO... I think almost all new comers have purchased a Radio Shack DMM as their first starter unit.
Works great for most people, and does get the job done. I hope everyone who reads this thread doesnt get the wrong impression about alternative meters. With 2004 well under way, even the cheapest DMM does offer alot of bang for the buck, for those on a budget.
So buy what you can afford now, and save up for that Fluke when you are able to. It will make you realize that a name does come at a cost, which translates to unsurpassed reliability and performance.
Regards
EVIL Teken . . .
sroth140 
Silver - Posts: 513
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 26, 2004 at 10:53 AM / IP Logged  

i save up for a long time planning the purchase of my fluke 112, but then my dad got it for me for chrismas this year.  what a guy.  i used my saved money to buy all the necessary test leads/connectors from matco.

i love it, couldnt be happier.  it comes with the rubber shock case and is drop proof up to 1 meter with out the case i think (could be with).  its back lit which isnt anything big if you have a shop light under the dash but its usefull when you do need it.  plenty of features and its rather ergonomic.

i give it a 10 on satisfaction and overall value.

Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic