icon

what brand is a good DMM

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Mad Scientists 
Silver - Posts: 380
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2004 at 10:24 AM / IP Logged  

Currently, my main meters are a Fluke 88, BluePoint, some off-brand yellow Fluke-lookin wannabe, a Radio Shack data logging meter and a big boxful of Waveteks.

I've had the Fluke for about a decade now. Last year I personally calibrated it.. I was surprised how accurate it still was. I've got lots of extras for it; pressure vacuum module, IR temp probe, Thermocouple module, RPM pickup, half dozen current transformers,  and a mess of various test leads. I really like the 'bed of nails' type aligator clip.. very helpful for probing wires.

I only wish the fuses for the Fluke were cheaper.. one day I'll set up a pair of test leads with an inline fuse to prevent popping the meter fuse.. at least I can find the fuses now at Lowes and Home Depot.. but they usually run about $5 each.

Of course, I recommend the Fluke meter.. but you can get a cheapo until you have the money for the Fluke.. once you have the Fluke, you can use the cheapo for doing current measurements. That's what I've ended up doing.. it saves me a fortune buying fuses. I always end up doing a current measurement, then attempting to measure voltage (but leaving the meter on current setting.. fuses don't last long like that.)

Also, it's sometimes handy to be able to monitor multiple points all at once..

Hope this helps..

Jim

Clean Install 
Silver - Posts: 446
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2004 at 11:29 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the reply Jim....and everyone else that has replyed yall have helped alot......thanks again
If we learn from each success and
each failure, then we can improve ourselves
Page of 4

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic