icon

Help with Autopage alarm and Chevy Beretta

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
esteban 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: August 02, 2002 at 9:47 PM / IP Logged  

I am sure glad I found this site.  Exellent information, and what seems to be very helpfull people too!  Now, I am new to car security and after having my $1500 worth of stuff stolen from my car, I want to install an   Autopage RF-303 alarm that I've got just laying around.  I have read through the instructions carefully and looked at the 1988-93 Chevrolet Beretta Security Information on this site but I have a couple of questions. 

1)  I am not sure how to hook up the door trigger.  This site gives the following info for an 89 Beretta 

Door TriggerWhite (-) Courtesy Light 

One of the courtesy lights under the dash has an ORANGE wire and a WHITE wire going to the bulb socket.  My Autopage manual states for a negative pin switching system connect the GRAY wire from alarm to the switch side of the interior light wiring.  Does this mean I can just tap the GRAY wire into the WHITE wire at light bulb socket?????

2)  I am not sure how to hook up the flashing parking lights wire.  This site gives the following info

Parking LightsBrown Light Switch 

I removed the entire light switch module from the dash and yes there is a BROWN  wire behing the switch.  On the alarm there is a GREEN wire with an inline 10 amp fuse.  The manual says connect the GREEN fused wire to the parking light wire of the vehicle as determined at the beginning of the installation.  Now, WHY is the GREEN wire fused????  Is it really that simple as taping the GREEN wire into the BROWN wire?

3)  How do I hook up the trunk release with this information???

Trunk ReleaseBlack Switch 

I looked at the back of my trunk release switch and from what I see there in no black wire!!!!!!  There are two wires coming from the switch, a GREEN wire and a GREEN/ BLACK wire.  My alarm manual states the following:  The GRAY/BLACK wire from the alarm may be connected directly to an existing negative switch trunk switch.  Positive switched trunk switches must be connected to the PURPLE positive trigger input.  How can I tell if my trunk switch is Negatively or Positively switched??????

4) How and where should I mount the Shock Sensor??   The manual says the Shock Sensor may be wire tied to any existing harness under the dash.  <===This does not sound like a very rigid way of mounting a shock sensor.  Is there a better location or idea for mounting this thing, or should I just listen to the manual??

I really appreciate you guys for reading this and helping me out with any suggestions Help with Autopage alarm and Chevy Beretta - Last Post -- posted image.

2011 Kia Sorento
2004 SRT-4
DeathsJester12V 
Silver - Posts: 352
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 02, 2002 at 11:00 PM / IP Logged  

Ok...let's see if I can give ya a helping hand........ (please be warned I'm a smart a$$....so take nothing personally)

First off..........always test the wires with a DMM (digital multimeter)!!!

ok..now to question one...Yes you can tap the wire at the courtesy light, as long as it comes on only when the door is opened, and goes off when it's closed.  What you need to do is test the light with all doors closed, if the white wire is grounded ( or (-) ) meaning it gives no voltage, and when the door is opened it gets power ( or (+) ) than it will be effective to use....what you now need to do is consult the wiring diagram with the alarm if on the door trigger wire it shows you a (-) you're good to go, if not post again, and me or someone else will walk you through what you need to do.  (note: I'd install a diode in-line with the alarm wire....just have the cathode, or the band side, towards the light bulb)  I think that wraps up question one....

Now on to question two boys and girls of all ages...........

As far as hooking up the parking light flash ( assuming the alarm has an onboard relay)  As long as the the alarm wire ( the green one) is (+), Wich since it has a fuse I'd say it is...but consult the manual to be sure..and the brown wire gets power when the parking lights are turned on, and it's the only wire besides the constant that gets power, yes it is that easy to do!!  The fuse is to protect the alarm from those weird accidents that happen in vehicle wiring....and yes you need it....it also helps to keep you from frying the brain if you accidentally hit the wrong wire and go to ground!!  I think that wraps up Question number two....we will be taking a short intermission and gettign back to you!

What I got for the wire color is black as well....but you say you have a green and a GREEN/ black?  hmmm.....puzzling.......Did you look in the trunk to see what color the wire is....( i doubt if GM kept the colors the same through out, but you never know?!?)  okay...we shall return to that part of the question....now onto the testing part of it....Easy....The switch will either control a positive signal or a negative signal...to make it easier for you....if you see and + voltage on that switch it's positive...if there's negative is negative switching....Here's what you need to do:

Bust out the installers best friend ( no guys not the Bond!) the DMM.

Go to your Trunk switch...and probe the wires

if you get a wire with volts all the time you got a positive switching.  if no wires have volts it's negative.

Now in the case of Pos. Switching  one wire will be constant and when you push the switch, the other wire will recieve power as well....and when you depress the switch, guess what...only one wire will have power again....the wire that always has power...is not the wire you tap, the other one is...and there should be your trunk release....I will end it here, because if I remember right...Berettas are positive switching..but check and make sure...and that is the end of question three.

Now onto four....first a words from our sponsors.....

*music kicks in* Faayyygggoooo...........Tell your momma to head out to the store, and ask her to bring home a faygo! *music fades*

ok, now question four.........where, to mount the shock sensor....you're right it ain't too rigid...I usually do that in my own cars....hey installers even installers get enough of their job...or we don't ahve the time to do it right!  does the autopage shock sensor have bolt or screw holes in it...i can't remember if it does...mount anywhere you want...outta sight!!  where do I like to mount them.....anywhere i can get it good and solid and outta sight....Try finding a place under the dash, behind the radio, under the factory center console (not a bad place for the brain either...just gotta extend the wires...and take the heat into consideration under there...you can get some heat shield at autozone or wherever.....if you use that idea)....and that ends this edition of Jester on alarms....

Stay tuned...........and remember.......it's all fun and games, till you tick someone off and they come after you with a 1 farad cap!!  Ta-Ta boys and girls...and I hope I helped you in my derranged state!

Đễẳ†ђş 12\/ Ĵęśŧē®™
esteban 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: August 02, 2002 at 11:30 PM / IP Logged  

Help with Autopage alarm and Chevy Beretta - Last Post -- posted image.OMG, that was the fasted and most accurate answer I could have asked for!!!

Thanks alot, I am going to try to install it tomorrow (only if it doesnt get AFRICA hot tomorrow that is).  This site kicks ARSE!

2011 Kia Sorento
2004 SRT-4
DeathsJester12V 
Silver - Posts: 352
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 03, 2002 at 12:13 AM / IP Logged  

No problem esteban, no problem...that's what we are here for....

Africa hot!?!?!  tell me about it....Hell my install bay is an aluminium building out back of the shop...and they wonder why I prefer to work in the back parking lot....can we say that building is an oven!!

Hope it goes well!!  and good luck

Đễẳ†ђş 12\/ Ĵęśŧē®™

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic