icon

Door locks in 92 Cavalier with Valet 554R

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ErickSaint 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2004 at 3:19 PM / IP Logged  

OK, I'm finally getting around to installing my alarm this weekend. I'm making a trip to the shop to get some odds and ends like mercury switches and a relay to hook up my defogger to my remote start.

What I'm curious about is the lock system on this DEI unit, does it have relays built in for the locks or do I need to pick up relays for the lock system as well. The install manual says "The door lock outputs are low current and should not be attached directly to any high current device; they are only to be used to activate relays."

But in a few posts here I have seen people reffering to other DEI pieces and chevy years close to mine and they said to just hook up the wires where they need to be no relay needed. This kinda contradicts what is in the install manual. I'm not sure if the switches in my car are low current and just activating a relay or not, and I don't want to burn my unit out finding out. I'm just new to DEI and want to know if I need to get some relays while i'm getting the other stuff.

draasch 
Gold - Posts: 2,172
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2004 at 4:28 PM / IP Logged  
Power Lock LIGHT BLUE DRIVER KICK 1991- #203
Power Unlock BLACK PANEL 1992-94- #202
#203- See Reversal Rest At Ground Door Lock Diagram (1991 Only). #202- See Positive Pulse Door Lock Diagram (1992-94).
Good Luck
David
Ace Security
813-376-9778
Tampa
Donate to the 12volt
ErickSaint 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: January 15, 2004 at 10:24 AM / IP Logged  

While appreciate the info I already have about 4 different wire diagrams for my car, including the one from directechs, so I knew the color of the wires I need in the car. I was looking more for someone to clear up the need of relays or not since there have been posts here from what I consider trusted sources that say both things. Is there something I need to see in these 202 and 203 diagrams, if so where do I find them?

If it matters, after looking at the schematics of my car the switches do indeed trigger relays which in turn operate the lock actuators.

sroth140 
Silver - Posts: 513
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 15, 2004 at 12:19 PM / IP Logged  
if the locks were a (-) trigger id use the blue and green 554r wires as they are, but since the 554r has to suppy 12v to operate the locks (+ trigger) then id use two relays.  take 85 and 86 to 12 volts, take the lock (unlock for the second relay) to 85, and use 30 on the lock wire (unlock for the second relay).  basically you will be using the relay to drive a high current circuit with the 554r lcok/unlock (-) signal to trigger the relay.  if you get lock/unlock functioning backwards, just flip the wires comming out of the 554r.
draasch 
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 15, 2004 at 3:48 PM / IP Logged  
( diagram )
Good Luck
David
Ace Security
813-376-9778
Tampa
Donate to the 12volt
draasch 
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 15, 2004 at 3:51 PM / IP Logged  
look to the left of this space...i tried to click and paste but it didnt work....look under door locks.. you need the 3 wire positive diagram.
Good Luck
David
Ace Security
813-376-9778
Tampa
Donate to the 12volt

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic