Electrical Tape Recommendation?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mindctrl 
Copper - Posts: 114
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2004 at 9:50 PM / IP Logged  

Hi all,

I'm putting together a subwoofer box, and to do my wiring inside the box, I have to splice into some wires.  I was planning to solder it all, then heatshrink it... But I don't know whether or not you could heatshrink a 3way connection?  Anyways, I heard about this electrical tape made by 3M that is super high grade stuff, doesn't come apart even after high heat and moisture... Anybody know what I'm talking about?  If you could give me some recommendations here, I'd appreciate it.  Thanks.

--mindctrl

Fyrhwk1 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: January 15, 2004 at 2:34 AM / IP Logged  

at work I use 3M super 33, fancy name and all but the stuff is actually good tape. It bonds to itself well and stretches without getting flimsy, if you wrap it tight you dont have to worry about it coming off within the next 20 years.

Teken 
Gold - Posts: 1,492
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 15, 2004 at 2:31 PM / IP Logged  
Home Depot is selling 3M Super 33 for $0.87 per 100 ft role.
Regards
EVIL Teken . . .
mikeshonda750 
Copper - Posts: 105
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 15, 2004 at 7:03 PM / IP Logged  
Aye, i will also recommend super 33.. lookin at a case of it right now. Generally, if you buy any 3M/Scotch(same company) electrical tape your dealing with quality. The super33 is amazing in its stickieness. We have been using some AZ crap that is super-d-duper hard.. and on cold days (its been nasty cold here) i have to sit it on a hot engine or in a defroster to get it to stick to ANYTHING and if you use your finger to pull it around the wire (stick to finger and spin around) it now wont stick to itself. I use the 3m super 33+ religously. Its flame retartant, weather resistant, handles up to 600 volts ant like 190degreeze. Like the above post said, use this and 20 years later, it will still be there, sticking to itself.... hell.. i have used it and years down the road pulled the connection back apart to remove something/disconnect something.. and the sh*t is still sticky and useable.. good stuffs
superchuckles 
Copper - Posts: 89
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2004 at 2:52 AM / IP Logged  

it's not only sticky, but - as any installer who's worked under both hot and cold conditions using 3M tape, and using that crap no name brand stuff.... the 3M is just a better quality vinyl -- if you want to see how much better, leave a roll of 3M outside overnight, and a roll of junk tape.  in the morning when it's cold, peel off a piece of 3M, and peel off a piece of junk stuff.  now pull it until it breaks.   then see how well it sticks to something cold and wet.  you will immediately see the difference: the 3M will stretch and still have strength under both hot and cold conditions - the junk stuff will snap whenever it's down to about 40 degrees farenheight, and i mean snap like a twig when pulled.  you'll see the difference in how well it sticks under those conditions too, the 3M will stick to wet grease (practically) where the generic stuff would only stick if you added epoxy to it.   having said that, you can heat shrink a 3 way connection - how you do it is like this:

Electrical Tape Recommendation? -- posted image.

the red part obviously being the outline of the heat shrink.   i've seen plenty of factory wiring harnesses that have "y" splices like this with heat shrink.  shrink is the best, but if you've got to use tape, then by all means, get the 3M as it is as close to heat shrink as you're going to get when using tape.

Teamrf 
Gold - Posts: 1,031
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2004 at 3:09 AM / IP Logged  
Yea use that Super 33, that stuff from Wal-Mart doesn't stretch like super 33. Super 33 is easier to work with.
~The Rookie~
Rookie of the year that is...
Don't let the smoke out of your equiptment..it doesn't go back in.
atwageman 
Member - Posts: 43
Member spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2004 at 5:09 AM / IP Logged  
I only use 3m super 33 and have for years.  I think the stuff can handle anything just shy of of a nuclear holocaust!
Al Capone's business card said he was a used furniture dealer.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic