icon

fiberglass indoors during winter

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
rusty3335 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: January 15, 2004 at 11:07 AM / IP Logged  
Hey im planning on doing a whole glassed box, but it is winter here in CT.  I have always done my work outdoors in the sunlight.  I know you can definately do fiberglass indoors, but will the resin setup and harden well?  Does anyone use special heat lights, or anything like that when they do it inside a heated garage?  Thanks.
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 15, 2004 at 12:27 PM / IP Logged  
I've never had a problem with fiberglass indoors or outdoors, as long as the temperature was at least 70 F.  Much cooler than this and the glass takes longer to dry.  You can also try adding a little extra hardener to speed up the process, but be conservative.  If you use too much, your resin will start smoking and melt the plastic container it's in- definitely not fun indoors (or outdoors for that matter).  I've never use a heating lamp or anything, so I can't tell you for sure, but it seems logical that it would help.  Try it out and let me know.
rusty3335 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: January 15, 2004 at 2:01 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks alot.  Yeah ive had resin smoke before and it was actually kinda cool...except I had to make some more.  Ill try everything out hopefully sometime soon.
pureRF 
Silver - Posts: 619
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 15, 2004 at 5:46 PM / IP Logged  
I would suggest using a lamp but when i do it i just use a hairdryer for about 2 mins then let it sit. The hairdryer will help it get hot to start its hardening.
dream it, build it, fiberglass it
audiomechanic 
Silver - Posts: 388
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 16, 2004 at 9:54 AM / IP Logged  
if you want to heat it you can get a heat lamp that is used for baking automotive paint. a single 1500 watt one is about 189.00 you can find them online abunch of places. there is also a heater you can get at home depot that has a regulator and shuts off if it tips over. it is about $40.00. it is electric. it works really good if you put the heater and project inside a big box like a refridgerator or stove box. you can also put it in a car and leave it if you are curing glass in there too.
Trevor
Coomer 
Copper - Posts: 103
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2004 at 7:53 PM / IP Logged  
I've been working on my first fiberglass project outside in the 20 or so degree weather, and then I put it in my shed with a space heater blowing hot air on it. I've found that it works fine. It still takes my layers of glass about a full day to dry though.
Tony13hawk 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2004 at 8:11 AM / IP Logged  
Hey Tony here,  DO NOT USE A COIL OR ARCING HEATER INDOORS WITH RESIN. you will burn your house down.  Best thing to use is a 10 dollar bulb you can buy from HD it runs a 240 watts and is meant for heating.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic