icon

alarm school

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
tee17 
Copper - Posts: 93
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 15, 2004 at 1:09 PM / IP Logged  
i am pretty goodabout follwoing directions on just about anything. i want to find out how to install alarms and the ins and outs of it. i was wondering if anyone know of any schools in the chicago area where i could go to learn?
Teamrf 
Gold - Posts: 1,031
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 15, 2004 at 1:31 PM / IP Logged  
What I suggest you doing is getting an alarm pulling up a wiring diagram for your car and try it yourself. Now if you have no clue as what to do then don't try it. But you may want to go down to your local install shop and ask them some tricks. Some installers won't tell you how to do something they know but you have some people on this board that will help you out. Let me know if I can be of some insistance.
~The Rookie~
Rookie of the year that is...
Don't let the smoke out of your equiptment..it doesn't go back in.
draasch 
Gold - Posts: 2,172
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 15, 2004 at 3:43 PM / IP Logged  
i have been doing installs for 17 yrs and i am self taught. most install are common sense. however sometimes you have to be creative when it comes to running wires. abd thats the stuff you teach yourself. if you ever have any questions feel free to ask one of us here.....that is what we do!
Good Luck
David
Ace Security
813-376-9778
Tampa
Donate to the 12volt
sroth140 
Silver - Posts: 513
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 15, 2004 at 5:45 PM / IP Logged  
learn to love relays.  thats all alarms/remote starts are.  and you can manipulate different wires both factory and aftermarket alarm/RS.
southpawboston 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: January 16, 2004 at 9:27 AM / IP Logged  
also learn to love capacitors, resistors and diodes. with these (and relays as sroth140 mentioned above), you can do almost anything. you must have a somewhat creative mind to imagine all the possible ways in which these components can work together to produce the desired efffect. it wouldn't hurt taking a class in basic electronic theory. this website is a good start (the diagram section).
tonto26 
Member - Posts: 41
Member spacespace
Posted: January 16, 2004 at 9:50 AM / IP Logged  
You should first develop at the very least, a basic knowledge of electrical theory. Once you've got that the alarm is no problem. It's like putting pieces of a puzzle together, just match up each wire from the alarm to the diagram of your car. Don't be intimidated by the huge harness that comes out of the package, take one wire at a time, and you'll be fine.
sroth140 
Silver - Posts: 513
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 16, 2004 at 10:01 AM / IP Logged  
good point tonto26, you can usually eliminate over 50% of the wires when you do the pre-wire on the bench.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic