icon

radio conversion

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Cali420 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: August 03, 2002 at 6:25 AM / IP Logged  

I would like to convert a 1981 Buick Regal with shaft style radio to Din style. What parts would I need to buy? I get American international & a few other install kit's so if you know of kit that would work please send part or model numbers. Perhapes wire color guid for same car.................................

HotRod53F100 
Copper - Posts: 84
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 08, 2002 at 8:31 PM / IP Logged  
Cali420, doesn't an '81 have a "black box" type radio with the white, blue, and black connector?? If so, I can help you......I don't recall the two knob type having one knob right, one knob left in '81 but maybe I just don't remember. Doesn't your radio have one knob over the other?? Let me know.
HotRod
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 24, 2002 at 9:19 PM / IP Logged  

Couple of ways to do it:

1.  Simply cut the dash to fit the DIN radio.  If your cuts aren't quite perfect, there are attractive trim rings available to cover your error.  Check out the 1/4" Metra trim ring at Best Buy.

2.  Replace your woodgrain trim panel with one from an '84-87 Regal.  Those cars used the upsized radio that's still in many GM cars today.  Instead of having to downgrade to an aftermarket DIN-sized radio, you could consider buying a nice used Delco unit on eBay.  Or, simply purchase the Metra 99-4544 "multi kit" that fits many GM cars, including the '84'87 Regal.  It will allow you to mount a DIN sized radio behind the '84-87 woodgrain piece easily.

You didn't ask, but you also need a wire harness adapter so you don't have to hack up your car's wiring.  Most of the GM radios in '81 were analog, so you'll notice that there is no connection there for constant power.  Just tap your radio's constant wire into the orange wire at the cigarette lighter.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic