icon

BMW 328ci Radio Install

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
carguy411 
Silver - Posts: 683
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2004 at 12:27 AM / IP Logged  
im installing a new radio in a bmw 328ci now do i need any type of interface to keep the factory speakers or i just install it like a normal radio right into the factory harnesswith the aftermarket kit
plase let me know
thank you
RufNUSD 
Copper - Posts: 184
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2004 at 12:32 AM / IP Logged  
what year? is the radio din sized? should B straight4ward
Someone pass me that bottle.
carguy411 
Silver - Posts: 683
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2004 at 10:34 AM / IP Logged  
its a 2000 yeah its a din size i already have the dash kit i just wantto make sure i dont need an interface or anything or if i have to give one of the wirees 12v to turn on a factory amp or something
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2004 at 3:09 PM / IP Logged  
You could inter your vehicle information at Crutchfield.com and there website can tell you if you need a special interface or wiring harness. If you do they usually carry them for a reasonable price(if you buy a radio from them they give you that stuff free usually).
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2004 at 3:12 PM / IP Logged  
Sorry. I just checked their website and they dont information about your BMW.
richs 
Member - Posts: 37
Member spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2004 at 3:14 PM / IP Logged  
BMW has used both low level and high level to feed there factory amps. You need to do a little testing first of all. With a voltage meter set to DC volts, and the factory radio turned on, connect the positive lead from the meter to the one of the positive audio leads at the rear of the radio and touch the negative lead from the meter to ground and read the voltage. Then do the same for one of the negative audio leads. If they both show around 5 volts, then it is a speaker level signal and you should be able to connect the speaker leads from the new radio directly up (although I would recommend 45x4 total power or less). If the DC voltage is very low (1 volt or less) then is is probably a low level signal and typically you will need an interface to hook it up. The SoundGate XR4 or OEM4A work great for these vehicles.
Best Regards,
Rich

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic