icon

extra amp?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
xTimx 
Copper - Posts: 354
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2004 at 1:33 PM / IP Logged  
i have 3.5 MB quart mid's for fronts and rockford 6x9's for rears...when i had my 94 cavalier they were hooked up straight to the deck (jvc (KD-LH1150) they sounded great and all and there wasnt any distortion. but i totalled off my car and i bought a 91 cavalier z24 and again i installed them into my car but when i hooked them up and played them one of the 6x9's had blown. lucky i had another set of 6x9's on hand. but the thing is i had my system in the 94 cavalier for a long time and had no trouble. do you think i should get an amp, if so, how much wattage.
p.s. the 6x9 doesnt seem to be blown, when you push the cone up and down it moves with no noise as if the voice coils arent touching the magnet. could it be soemthing else!?
staudio 
Member - Posts: 41
Member spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2004 at 3:04 PM / IP Logged  
double check your connections. If it all seems well hook the other set of 6x9's up and see if you get the same problem. If the other 6x9 doesn't produce any problems than there's probably something wrong with the 6x9 that seems blown such as a bent voice coil (possible bottom out) or a separation somewhere in the spider, cone, voice coil attachment.
xTimx 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2004 at 6:25 PM / IP Logged  
ok but what about the amp situation then!?
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2004 at 6:45 PM / IP Logged  

IN GENERAL, if your head unit has four powered outputs (left and right, front and rear) then it will power four speakers.  That's what it is designed to do.  If you want to run more than four speakers, or if the HU output is not enough for your taste, then you need another amp.

A speaker may seem to move OK and still be blown.  The voice coil can be electrically bad.

jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2004 at 10:07 PM / IP Logged  
crazy adivse...looking for a cheap decent sounding amp, look at volfenhag....I sell their 800 watt 4 channel 50x4rms 4 ohm....for $130   and they really are decent amps when they first came out we put one through a tourture test to see if we could blow it up, and surprisingly we couldnt...the channels are 2 ohm stable, and we have been runnin one amp at 2 ohm on all 4 channels for over a year now without a problem yet!
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
xTimx 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 19, 2004 at 1:23 AM / IP Logged  
keep in mind that i live in saskatchewan canada and we bushiens havent heard of that kind of product! :P
cavyman 
Copper - Posts: 88
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 20, 2004 at 1:24 PM / IP Logged  
You really dont want to underpower your speakers.  In the long run, it might not be good for them and also why spend the money on a good set of speakers if you arent gonna get the best possible sound from them?  Why not spend $150 on a decent 4 channel amp?  You will not regret this.  More power=better sound. 
1 plus 1 equals 2
xTimx 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 20, 2004 at 1:30 PM / IP Logged  
well i come to this conclusion! i blew my rockford 6x9, so i'm replacing them with MB quart 6x9's ( i think two-way) then i'm getting a RF, 551x to power them! so i'll have MB quart 3.5 and 6x9's being powered by my RF 551x.
xTimx 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 20, 2004 at 10:22 PM / IP Logged  

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic