icon

1992 Lexus LS400 CD problem

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
v8pwr 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2004 at 3:46 PM / IP Logged  

I'm having trouble with my stereo in 1992 Lexus LS400 with Nakamichi system.  It all started when my CD changer stopped working few days ago. Radio displayed "Err" and not play any CD at all. (Radio and tape works fine)

I did try reset button, but nothing.

I checked the CDs for scratches or maybe inserted upside down....nothing.
I took the changer out from the car and took it apart to clean the pickup lens....nothing.
I looked at Lexus repair manual, but it doesn't explain anything about error code on radio.

And today, CD changer completely lost its power (no 12V coming in). There are 2 main power wires coming in to the changer. One is constant 12V, and other should show 12V when ignition is turned on AND radio turned on also. (according to Lexus service manual, it shouldn't show 12V unless radio is on)

However, this wire shows 12V even when stereo is still OFF (ignition is on)  And, constant 12V shows nothing.(It was showing constant 12V yesterday!)  I did check connectors behind the deck and they shows same voltage as it did  at the changer.

Until yesterday, I thought my changer needs to be replaced, but now, it seems like my main deck needs to be replaced/repaired. I know the deck is over 10years old, so it maybe about the time to replace it. I don't mind replacing the deck, but wanted to make sure what is exactly wrong with it. Either the deck, or changer....or something else...?????

Sorry for long post, but I really need help on this. Thanks for your support!

v8pwr 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 21, 2004 at 4:20 PM / IP Logged  
ttt
v8pwr 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2004 at 1:36 PM / IP Logged  
ttt
ccroadshop99031 
Copper - Posts: 102
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 26, 2004 at 8:33 AM / IP Logged  

lexus has pa paid trade out program   u give them $400-$600 and they give u a "brand new" remanufactured radio

v8pwr 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 26, 2004 at 1:53 PM / IP Logged  

Are you sure??? I called local Lexus dealer to inquire about the radio and they never told me anything about that. Instead, they told me that brand new Nakamichi head unit will run me little over $6000!!!

Where can I call/contact to find out about this?

Please let me know. Thanks

itmdtr 
Copper - Posts: 131
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2004 at 11:54 AM / IP Logged  

Where I work (Lexus Dealer) I always swap out radios. We just install a remanufactured radio.

Are there any error numbers or does it just display "ERR"?

itmdtr
v8pwr 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2004 at 1:50 PM / IP Logged  

When the changer had power, it showed "ERR" message at the deck. However, as I mentioned, there is no power going to change now. So even when I press "CD" button on the deck, nothing happens.

itmdtr 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2004 at 6:24 PM / IP Logged  

I'll check in my service manuals and see what might be the prob. You did check all the fuses, right?

itmdtr
v8pwr 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2004 at 7:41 PM / IP Logged  

itmdtr: Thanks for your help. I checked a fuse.....there was only one fuse I could find under the dash.

There is no power to the changer now. Constant 12V which should be coming out from the deck to the changer don't show any voltage.

and Accesory 12V which also coming from deck to the changer should show 12V when deck is on, but instead it shows constant 12V........so I think my deck is messed up!

What do you think?  My deck works fine except for CD changer control. Radio, tape works fine.

Thanks for your help!

itmdtr 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2004 at 5:36 AM / IP Logged  

It sounds like the head unit to me. You can get a reman radio for that car.

Did you try any other Lexus dealers in your area?

itmdtr
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic