Wireless Headphones

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
JSCarter 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2004 at 11:39 PM / IP Logged  

Well I'm at wit's end on this..

I have been tring to hook-up a set of Audiovox Wireless headphones for 2 days now in a 2000 Ford Excursion and I am having no luck at all.

The transmitter needs constant power to be hooked upto it and so far I have been unable to get it to power up.

The transmitter works fine on the bench when hooked up there.  I have so far tried 3 different sources to power and ground it in the truck. I have 2 working TVs installed and tried swaping that connection with the transmitter and I didn't work there. Last time trying the battery itself.. no luck.

Heres the kicker..  I decided that instead of running to my shop and back to the truck to test I would move the AC to DC converter out to the truck since I also have a DC to AC converter in it.  Well I hook it up and it powered up fine if I go from DC to AC back to DC!

When I checked the voltage from my truck hook up points they registered 13.99 V and when I checked the converter it registered 13.74 V. So no big change there I believe would cause it.

I have checked continuity on all the grounds and even tried to use the ground on the converter while using the hot from the truck.  Nada.

Anyone have any info as to what I should try next?

Thanks in advance,

Joe

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 19, 2004 at 8:27 AM / IP Logged  
Hmm.  Let me get it straight, are you trying to power the transmitter directly off your truck's electrical system, or are you powering it off a DC-AC inverter in the truck?
JSCarter 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: January 19, 2004 at 8:38 AM / IP Logged  

It needs to be powered from the truck's DC electrical system.  I have the DC to AC converter in there for the PS2.  I moved my AC to DC converter from my workshop to the truck so I could cut down on walking time.  the AC to DC converter will be going back to the shop and not be staying in the truck.

Joe

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 19, 2004 at 10:50 AM / IP Logged  
Well, if the transmitter need 12 VDC and you have the power connected properly, I can't see any reason why it shouldn't work.  I've built adapters for similar products before - just make sure you have the polarity on the power plug correct (center hot or center neutral, which evr it needs. )   If it's not working when connected directly to your battery but does work off an AC-DC power supply, then either the battery voltage is too high or too low (unlikely) or the power supply is operating with a - voltage on the neutral and not ground, or the connection is faulty... I can't really think of much else to check, unfortunately.
sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 20, 2004 at 5:48 PM / IP Logged  
Be careful of where you hook up for 12 volts and ground. Only use the vehicle's chassis for groung NOT another wire in the vehicle. The wireless headphone emitter should be powered by an ignition or accessory source of power, not battery. The unit will create a battery drain if it's hooked to 12 volt + battry. If you have a digital VOM try hooking it up to the emitters power and ground with it running to check for proper polarity and voltage.
sparky
Teken 
Gold - Posts: 1,492
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 20, 2004 at 6:12 PM / IP Logged  
sparkie wrote:
Only use the vehicle's chassis for groung NOT another wire in the vehicle.
I re-affirm that position. I don't know what kind of converter you have. But if one of them does not have a grounding plug. And the unit requires a ground, the unit will not work.
You will notice that many of the units that are for in-car AC use, do not have a third grounding outlet, and simply use a two prong pin. But you will also notice that either the unit is of very low current, or the casing is not made out of steel and is made from some sort of plastic composit to shield the user against electrical shock.
If one of the invertors has a ground, have that connected directly to the chassis, and try it again.
Otherwise I cannot see why it would not work either.
Regards
EVIL Teken . . .

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic