icon

4 subs with differnet ohms on 1 amp?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
darky 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: January 19, 2004 at 3:17 PM / IP Logged  

im trying to set up a syeterm with 4 10'' jl audio w0 with a jl 300/1 stable at 1.5-4 per channel

the subs i can get are 2 4ohm and 2 8ohm

4 & 8 ohm's wired in parralell produces 2.6 ohms

so one 4ohm and one 8ohm on each channel wired in parallell

will it owrk or od the subs have to be the same ohms?

Ketel22 
Silver - Posts: 976
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 19, 2004 at 3:36 PM / IP Logged  
the subs do not need to be the same ohms altho the subs will be powered differently/
Quad L Handyman services
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 19, 2004 at 3:39 PM / IP Logged  
Sure it will work....until one of the subs blows. Electricity will take the path of least resistance, if you have drivers of differing resistance on the same circuit, one will take more power than the other. It is not recommended to mix drivers of differing impedance on the same circuit. Your best bet is to eliminate 2 subs and exchange them for 2 that are the same as the others. Imagine a 17" wheel on one side of your truc and a 13" on the other side, even though the engine and transmission are doing their job properly (just like your cd and amp) what happens to the actual motion of the vehicle (your subs)?
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 19, 2004 at 3:43 PM / IP Logged  

Would it work?  Sure.  But is it a good idea?  Well, that is a matter of opinion, but I say no. 

If you wire a 4 ohm and an 8 ohm speaker in parallel, it would indeed present a 2.66 ohm net load to the amp.  However, the 4 ohm speaker will play twice as loud as the 8 ohm speaker, as the current flow from the amp would be twice as much with half the net resistance to that leg.  Plus, if you use speakers rated at "2X4 ohms", this means it has two voice coils and is really either a 2 or an 8 ohm speaker, and the ones labeled "2X8 ohms" can either be wired at 4 or 16 ohms each.

Since JL mono amps require no less than a 1.5 ohm load, I suggest you get four 2X4 ohm woofers, wire them for 8 ohms each, and put all four in parallel on your amp for a net 2 ohm load.

customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 19, 2004 at 3:54 PM / IP Logged  

You shouldnt wire subs with different impedances on the same amp. If you havnt already bought the subs I would buy all 4 ohm subs so you can bridge your amp and get 300 watts for all four amps. If you have bought two 4 ohm subs and two 8 ohm subs then i dont kow what you can do besides damage your amp.

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 19, 2004 at 5:03 PM / IP Logged  
It won't damage the amp.  It just won't sound as good as having all four subs with the same impedence and therefor the same power utilization.  It would be a big time waste of money on the higher impedence rated drivers.
darky 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 19, 2004 at 9:04 PM / IP Logged  

thanks for the help. i wont bother with the 8 ohms adn look fo some 4 ohms.

another question...what would 4 10wo's sound like on a 300/1?

darky 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 19, 2004 at 9:08 PM / IP Logged  
i havent bought anything either. my relative went out of business and im just trying to do what i can with everything he has left.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic