icon

engine noise only when in FM mode

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
su_root 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: January 19, 2004 at 3:28 PM / IP Logged  

hey, thanks for reading, i just bought a pioneer gead unit, avh-p6500dvd, and the installation went fine but now when i am listening to the radio, TUNER mode), i can hear my engine whining up and down as the car accelerates. I have an xbox hooked up as my AUX VIDEO input, and when i am in AV INPUT mode i get NO noise. Also when i am watching a dvd from the built in dvd player function, i also get NO noise, its only when i am in tuner mode that i can hear the whining. Also, my FM reception is very bad, the stock Nissan radio had good reception and i figured the new unit would have even better reception. Any ideas or input will be greatly appreciated. Ill recheck my connections later tonight, maybe its just a loose antenna cable...thanks

ps: the car is an 02 nissan altima

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 19, 2004 at 3:30 PM / IP Logged  
If this unit has a hide away module, make sure it is not mounted near any other power or ground wires and especially computers, these emit rfi interference that may be picked up by the tuner module.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 19, 2004 at 3:45 PM / IP Logged  
Could be a bad ground on the antenna, as this would cause the symptom reported.
su_root 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 19, 2004 at 4:02 PM / IP Logged  

thanks forbidden, ill check that 2nite when i open the dash back up and ill make sure it sits away from the headunit power cable which is really the only power line  i have runnning through that area. everything else is the audio/video coming from the xbox and the video rca going out to the rear lcd's. ill prolly just take it all out and test then.

DYohn, maybe i didnt notice it when i installed but i didnt see any ground cable to the antenna. i only saw two ground labled on the headunit. One said GROUND and i could tell that was the GND for the entire headunit. the other one said AMPLIFIER SHIELD GROUND ,and that was labeled on the wire harness that i bought from crutchfiel, i didnt know where this one went so i just covered it with electrical tape. The antenna was only one back cable which plugged into a converter that was provided by pionner and then that plugged into the hideaway unit.

thanks

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 19, 2004 at 4:21 PM / IP Logged  
The antenna cable is actually two wires, the center conductor is the actual "antenna lead" for the antenna and the exterior shield is the ground. The antenna therfor may have a bad ground at either end, where it connects into the hideaway module or where it connects to the antenna itself for chassis ground. Make sure the antenna ground is nice and clean.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
su_root 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 19, 2004 at 11:13 PM / IP Logged  

looks like i fixed the problem.

i followed your advice forbiden and i repositioned the hieaway unit and separted its cables from the antenna cable, now everything works fine with no noise. Thanks for your input everyone, i can now enjoy my new HU.

rgds

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic