icon

wiring DVC subs

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ndawg1557 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: August 04, 2002 at 2:34 AM / IP Logged  

i have a 1200 watt 2 ch amp  with 2 speakers wires sharing the postive from one channel and sharing the negative from the other channel.

the guy who installed my system had this hooked up to cheap 10's that i bought but they blew out

so now i have 2 10" 800 watt DVC subs and i dont' know how to hook them up since they are the dual voice coil

can u tell me if i just use one on the voice coils or do i use the postive from one and the negative from the other?, or whatever...........i'm completely confused by it

and my other question is can i keep my speaker wires hooked up to the amp the way they are (sharing the postive from one channel and sharing the negative from the other channel)??

durangomanz 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: August 04, 2002 at 2:06 PM / IP Logged  
you need to wire the + to + and - to - then run your wires out
GlassWolf 
Copper - Posts: 365
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 04, 2002 at 2:46 PM / IP Logged  
to wire a sub's VCs in parallel do the following:
connect both neg. terminals together
connect both pos. terminals together
connect amplifier to one pair of neg. and pos. as if it were a single voice-coil 2-ohm sub.
-GlassWolf
Pioneer Stage-4, Orion, DynAudio, Fi
Ryan1 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: August 08, 2002 at 9:52 PM / IP Logged  

Better make sure your amp will be stable.  If you are running both DVC subs in parallel your creating a 1ohm load and bridged to the amp you are creating a 1/2 ohm load.  You didnt state your amp model but alot of amps wont run too healthy for very long at 1/2 ohm.  I have a Soundstream Reference 700SX with two MB Quart DVC RWC-304 subs ran this way and it holds up nicely but does heat up the amp a lot.  IF you do hook them up this way I would start with the gains on the amp down and see how it does.  If it plays alright and doesnt get too hot then try turning it up a little.  Heats a killer..be careful.

Ryan
-=SoundStream Junkie=-
Parkin' Lot Pimpin' 4 Life

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic