the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

fosgate RFD2212 box help

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
T.Hill 
Copper - Posts: 268
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 20, 2004 at 4:33 PM / IP Logged  
I have always had subs in a sealed box simply because you can build it tight with the right amount of air space and drop the subs in. I have suv now and am thinking about going with a ported box for my HX2 12's. These are the punch series, not the power. Rockford's website used to have detailed specs on each kind of box for each of their subs. I can't find those spec's anywhere on there. My subs are rated to go down to 26hz so would it be possible to tune the box down to 26hz and set the subsonic x-over on my MA audio sy5011dx to 26hz. That way it keeps the subs out of harms way.
Pioneer DEH-P980BT, Zapco DCREF1000.4,Pioneer TS-C520PRS, Adire Extremis, MTX TA91002, TC Sounds TC-3000 15"
Teamrf 
Gold - Posts: 1,031
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 20, 2004 at 5:48 PM / IP Logged  
I have my owner manual for those subs since they are the same ones I have. So if you need any specs just let me know and I can post it to the board
~The Rookie~
Rookie of the year that is...
Don't let the smoke out of your equiptment..it doesn't go back in.
T.Hill 
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 20, 2004 at 5:51 PM / IP Logged  
do the manuals have specific demensions for a ported box like the mesurments for the ports and stuff?
Pioneer DEH-P980BT, Zapco DCREF1000.4,Pioneer TS-C520PRS, Adire Extremis, MTX TA91002, TC Sounds TC-3000 15"
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 20, 2004 at 5:57 PM / IP Logged  
From dusty old memory, let's see how 3.5 cu ft., separate chambers with 4" ports 7" long compares to what gets posted.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 20, 2004 at 7:35 PM / IP Logged  
Just remember with a ported box your subs continuous power handling drops about 100 watts usually. And make sure you have the right dimensions and all cauz you can make em sound real suckey if you dont. You might want to look at a bandpass if you like the boomy sound. They make your subs become really efficient (louder at lower wattages) i've heard.
T.Hill 
Posted: January 20, 2004 at 8:48 PM / IP Logged  
I'm really still debating on whether or not to go sealed or ported. If I understand the ported concept correctly, they tend to be kinda peaky at one certain freq. That freq being whatever the box is tuned to. I'm not really trying to win any spl contests just more or less a good overall response across the board. I would still like to get the specs for the ported box just in case I change my mind.
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 20, 2004 at 9:11 PM / IP Logged  
If you like a tight punchy sound go with ported (best with rock ,country ,pop music ,sometimes rap) If you want it to pretty much boom especiallly for your rap music i would go with ported. Bandpass boxes really boom if your subs are compatible.
wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2004 at 2:09 AM / IP Logged  
Tight overall bass at multiple frequencies (different kinds of music)... go with sealed.
Boom at a particular frequency... go with ported.
From what you've described, it sounds like you'd still be happier with a sealed enclosure.
Here's the links to the online manual and enclosure guide...
HE2 / HX2 Manual
RF Enclosure building guide
fosgate RFD2212 box help -- posted image.
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2004 at 12:52 PM / IP Logged  
Sorry dude, my typo, the box was 3.5 cu.ft net volume split between 2 chambers.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
T.Hill 
Posted: January 23, 2004 at 2:43 AM / IP Logged  
thanks for all the help guys. I think I am going with a sealed box for now.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic