icon

fosgate hx2 &1500w amp

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
walty220 
Copper - Posts: 75
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 21, 2004 at 7:50 PM / IP Logged  
I'm buying a 12" HE2 2ohm DVC and a 401s amp. I'm building a custom box, should i port it or make it sealed? The head units a Pioneer Premier deh-p360, mids& highs are 3.5" kickers and 4x10" kickers, im runnin the sub straight off the amps SW RCA output. I am putting it into an 83 Cutlass/HurstOlds. Is this current set up going to have any spl? I want to be heard coming from  a good half-block or so, will i be able to achieve this with this set up?
wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 21, 2004 at 8:03 PM / IP Logged  
If you want to be heard (SPL) then you would be better off running a 12" Punch HX2 (RFD2212) with a Power 501bd Mono amp. Why waste the money on a Class A/B 2-channel amp when you could get a Class D Mono amp that is designed specifically to run subs.
As for ported vs sealed...
Sealed is easier to build, more forgiving if you make mistakes, and smaller in size. They give above average performance at most frequencies
Ported is harder to build, less forgiving if you make volume mistakes, you have to incorporate port volume, you run the risk of having port noise, and are larger in size. They give excellent response at the tuned frequency, but poorer response the farther away from that frequency you go.
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 21, 2004 at 8:04 PM / IP Logged  
The HE2 is more of a sq sub that prefers a sealed box for best results. It can be made to operate quite good in a ported enclosure and provide a good spl with the tradeoff of a lower power handling and not quite as nice sq. I have no doubt that it will play to near or above the 130db mark, but it is a far cry from a HX2 in a ported enclosure powered by a bd501. If you have it in your budget to go bigger, I would, based on your last comments. Either way you go, it should sound fine. Good to hear that you are going to tackle your own box.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 21, 2004 at 8:06 PM / IP Logged  
wvsquirrel, just noticed your comments after I posted, nice to see two people bang on with recommendations.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
wvsquirrel 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 21, 2004 at 8:08 PM / IP Logged  
fosgate hx2 &1500w amp - Page 3 - Last Post -- posted image.
Squirrel
Donate to the12volt.com
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 21, 2004 at 9:10 PM / IP Logged  
My  cousin has two HE2s in a ported box and they sound great and really really loud. But the HX2s are definitely better.
wvsquirrel 
Posted: January 21, 2004 at 9:17 PM / IP Logged  
I'm running (2) RFD2112's (2 ohm DVC Punch HX2's) with an RF Power 1000bd in my '97 Explorer Sport and it quakes.
Walty220 we wouldn't steer you wrong ;) The HE2's are RF's entry level DVC sub. The Punch HX2's are mid/high level, and the Power HX2's are part of their high line. If you've got the money in your budget to go up now, then I would. I've changed subs about once a year for the last 3 years, and am saving for my next upgrade (two Eclipse Titanium 12's and a second RF Power 1000bd).
Squirrel
Donate to the12volt.com
Page of 3

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic