icon

fosgate hx2 &1500w amp

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
walty220 
Copper - Posts: 75
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 20, 2004 at 5:57 PM / IP Logged  
alright, how can i wire this to get the 500wattsx1 at 4ohm? i want to push 300-500 watts, wat kind of an amp set up am i lookin for??
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 20, 2004 at 6:00 PM / IP Logged  
I'll help when I can, I've got a remote start and an alarm I'm working on right now, think I've got one licked (bad brain). Same dude that posted yesterday? With two subs? Repost the subs and amp for me so I don't have to surf too much please. Back later.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 20, 2004 at 6:19 PM / IP Logged  

If you don’t mind I can try and help you out.

RFD2212  12" HX2 DVC 1000watt sub

501s  2 chan 1500 watt Punch amp

Now your sub can only be wired to 2 ohms (parallel) or 8 ohms (series). Your sub and amp are not a very good match for one another. I would suggest you exchange your amp for one that puts out 500 watts rms X 1 @ 2 ohms. You may want to look at the Fosgate 500BD http://www.purecaraudio.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=303 Or the JBL 600.1 http://www.purecaraudio.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=324 If you want to use your current equipment ( not recommended) I would  suggest that you wire your sub in series http://www.audiobahninc.com/tech/wiring/Series_Series_dual_4_ohm.pdf and bridge the sub to the amp for a total output of 250X 1 @ 8 ohm.

forbidden 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 20, 2004 at 6:54 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks bberman, I would suggest the same thing for you, you need an amp that is 2 ohm mono stable, a Rockford 501BD or similar amp would do a great job for you if you are going to use only one sub. If you plan on running a second sub, we need to know this now to find the right amp for you in the long run.
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 20, 2004 at 6:58 PM / IP Logged  

You should also look at an Alpine MRD-M500 http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-EL41FJeiRzg/ProdView.asp?s=0&c=3&g=130&I=500MRDM500&o=m&a=0&cc=01&avf=N

or a JL audio 500/1 http://www.jlaudio.com/amps/5001.html

walty220 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 21, 2004 at 11:10 AM / IP Logged  
thanks guys, so i need to look for (x) watts RMS @ 2ohms right? how do i wire a DVC to make my amp put out 2ohms? im thinkin maybe Fosgate 351M 1 channel 350 watt amp, it says 350 rms @ 2ohm.
forbidden 
Posted: January 21, 2004 at 12:16 PM / IP Logged  

Be very careful on the amp choice, I would still highly recommend one that is a closer match to output power, unless you are not going to be playing your system long and loud. Usuallly with only one sub most people ask a little more of it though, or expect a little more, thus the smaller amp you are considering is a great way to damage your sub. The x figure should be = to that of your rms power of the sub. Now it does not have to be exact by any means and most Rockford amps are totally underrated. The smaller of the two amps would probably do most people just fine for anyone exect the hardcore bass junkie that wants to annoy the neighbourhood.

To wire in parallel is fairly easy. What you need to do is hook 1 voice coil up to the amp just like you normally would, the second coil is hooked up to the first coil, positive to positive and negative to negative.

walty220 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 21, 2004 at 1:15 PM / IP Logged  

I've decided on a smaller sub, a HE2 12" 800max -400 rms, then the 501M amp is 350 rms @ 2ohms. no damage done correct? from what ive gathered that appears to me a good match, but what do i know. is that a nice match?

forbidden 
Posted: January 21, 2004 at 3:06 PM / IP Logged  
HE2 is a nice sub, more suited to a sealed box and sq than loud and big bass like the HX2. If you are on this path, the match is good.
walty220 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 21, 2004 at 5:01 PM / IP Logged  
i called a local car audio place, they said all theyve got in stock is a 401s.. which is 2 channel, is that gonna be as loud or should i get online and go with a 501m
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic