icon

Multiple amps, one sub

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
devilsquid 
Copper - Posts: 129
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 21, 2004 at 12:05 AM / IP Logged  

Im wondering if its possible to hook multiple amps to one sub, or would it fry the amps?

aggie altima 
Silver - Posts: 298
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 21, 2004 at 1:00 AM / IP Logged  
It wouldnt fry the amps, but theres a possibility of damaging the speaker.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 21, 2004 at 8:28 AM / IP Logged  

You can only hook multiple amps together if they are designed for it.  Some amps have interconnect capability so that you can in effect bridge them across multiple chassis.  This capability exists on very few generally high quality competition level amps.  You cannot connect multiple amps together if they are not designed for it (just like you cannot bridge a stereo amp if it is not designed for it) without damage to the amps.  The speakers won't care, by the way, unless you exceed their power rating.

Metra Tech 
Copper - Posts: 125
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 21, 2004 at 9:32 AM / IP Logged  
   You can also use dual voice coil woofers with two amps. That seems to be pretty popular now.
devilsquid 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 21, 2004 at 11:58 AM / IP Logged  

thats what i figured...i have two small amps laying around and one 10 sub and i was thinking of how to put it all together to sell it...ohwell...thanks for the input!

customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 21, 2004 at 4:56 PM / IP Logged  
You can use one 2 channel amp send each of its channels to the DVC sub and you would get the power rating it puts out at 4 ohm 2 channel combined for your sub. Or you can bridge it. Make sure your amp can do this though.
wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 21, 2004 at 7:42 PM / IP Logged  
Using multiple amps on a DVC sub (1 amp per voice coil) is called Independant Wiring, AND IS NOT RECOMMENDED unless if can not be avoided. Here's some information on the Dangers of Independant Wiring from JL Audio
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com
devilsquid 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 21, 2004 at 11:53 PM / IP Logged  
were getting of track here...i was talking about a svc sub...putting two amps into the same sub.
docka 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2004 at 12:42 AM / IP Logged  

simular question......

i know i have a sh*t amp but i have a usaudio 660 watt amp and a pioneer 800 watt sub. i currently have 2 channels bridged and its running the sub but i wanna bridge or connect or whatteva the whole power of the amp to the sub as its a 4 channel amp and only using 2 channels bridged. can i just bridge 1 and 2 and connect them in series or paralel to 3 and 4 bridged. im new to all this car audio stuff and i just need help, thanks

wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2004 at 1:53 AM / IP Logged  
Even if it's an SVC sub, you still don't want to use 2 seperate amps to feed it, unless the amps are specifically designed to be joined/combined together.
What you run into is variations in the signals comming from each amp (differences in the input, gains, etc) which will eventually tear the sub apart. So no, it's not a good idea.
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic