icon

glass not sticking

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
gta94integra 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: January 21, 2004 at 6:55 PM / IP Logged  
Ok...I've done a few glass projects before and right now im working on my door panels in my integra.  The panels originally had vinyl on them so i stripped the vinyl and scraped up the foam and scrubbed all the adhesive away with acetone.  Now im working with just a solid plastic piece.  I ruffed it up really good with a radial sander really gouging it and drilled holes to test if the glass would adhere good.  I drilled holes about 1/8" and about every half inch or so roughly and glassed about a 5" piece of glass for a test spot.  I let it kick and harden up and with a putty knife i could still pry the glass up easier than it should, so its not adhering to the plastic well...should i drill bigger holes or smaller holes close together.  Anyone have any tips on how to get the fiberglass to stick to the plastic.  Thanks
Michael1moreno 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 21, 2004 at 7:40 PM / IP Logged  
 yeah normally resin will not stick to plastic at all. Thats why they make all the application tools in plastic. What I have found to work real well on plastic is Kitty Hair filler. It is a resin slash fiberglass gulosh if you will and it adhears to plastic like no ones business so try that and see.
audiocraft 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: January 21, 2004 at 9:42 PM / IP Logged  

It really depends on the nature of your project.  Many times when I do fiberglass on door panels or other plastic surfaces I make sure the 'glass doesn't stick on purpose.  I build a base for the speaker pod (or whatever you're building) out of fiberglass and then remove it from the panel.  This gives you a good base shape.  Then I build my pod off of that base and screw it to the door panel from the back side so the screw heads can't be seen.  There is your physical connection, the screws.  The fiberglass has to be solidly mounted to the panel before molding it in.  To mold it in, use a high quality filler designed for use with plastic.  SEM products has a good product for this.  Hope this helps.

Joe

Joseph B Wade
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 22, 2004 at 10:57 AM / IP Logged  
Huh, I haven't had a problem.  I fiberglassed my door panel back together, and it's held up fine for months.  I just used some 80 grit sand paper to roughen the panel.  Then I superglued the panel back together, and propped it level with a roll of tape.  I added 2 layers of fiberglass, and let it dry.  No problems to date.  I think you just have to make sure the edges are sealed and there are no air gaps.
pureRF 
Silver - Posts: 619
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2004 at 3:27 PM / IP Logged  
Ok you said u drilled holes about every half inch. Turn the peice over after glassing one side and put glass on the other to connect the two glass peices thru the holes. hope that helps
dream it, build it, fiberglass it
gta94integra 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2004 at 10:31 PM / IP Logged  
OK....i spread some of the bondo-glass walmart crap on it in a test spot and glassed over that and that stuff would not budge.  Would this be an effective way of glassing the panel instead of putting a layer inside it as well.  Will I have to worry about anything cracking over time or will this do just fine?  Thanks
caozbone 
Member - Posts: 37
Member spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2004 at 10:07 AM / IP Logged  

i am going to school to work on autoplastics and many times an adhesive has to be used in correlation with glassing.  so, try and go to an auto store like pepboys or carquest and find some auto plastics adhesions. cover the entire area that you will be glassing and let the stuff dry.  then you can glass how you want and the glass will stick, versus using bondo.

i live my life one decibel at a time!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic