icon

amp/sub ohmage wire tips?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
caozbone 
Member - Posts: 37
Member spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2004 at 4:32 PM / IP Logged  

okay, i have searched and searched and found wiring diagrams, but none give the results i want

my question is:

I have a 800 X 2 at 2ohm, 1600 X 1 at 4 ohm amplifier;  three 450 at 4 ohm.  the diagrams i have seen give me parallel and series and a combo.  i had all three bridged in series, then i paralleled all three,  and now i have two in series and the thrid in parallel with the series creating a 2ohm load on the 4ohm brideged channel, it works fine, but i do notice the third under more stress.  i didnt know that the ohmage was 4ohm for the bridged and now i feel like i have a real issue, so can i wire one sub to a channel and the third bridged?  will it create a 2ohm 900w load on each channel or will it pull/give too much to each channel?

+      4       -     X  1600

+2 -       +2-    X   800

I    I       I     I

+ 4 -      +4 -    X   450

I                   I

+  4   -        X   450

what would be the result?

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2004 at 5:14 PM / IP Logged  
Back the bus up, list make and model #'s
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
caozbone 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2004 at 6:01 PM / IP Logged  

soundstorm rave r800.2

12" pioneer 450 w impp

forbidden 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2004 at 6:26 PM / IP Logged  

Here is the basics I found on your amp

• 2 Channel Mosfet Power Amplifier

• 2 OHM Stable (2 Channel Mode)
• Max Power: 800W x 2 - ignore this rating
• RMS Power: 280W x 2 - the semi real rating - ignore for now

Most, if not all Soundstorm amplifiers do not produce anywhere near the power they claim, this I know as I am a dealer. What is the size of the fuse on your amp?

Your amp is probably not also stable below a 4 ohm mono load, this means that in order to properly use this amp with your subs, you will need 4 identical 4 ohm subs hooked in a series / parallel circuit. Your best and safest bet is to wire only 2 subs to this amp in normal old stereo mode. Do not use the 3rd sub unless you get another identical one, then we can discuss how to wire them in.

Are the subs all in the same enclosure?

jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2004 at 10:01 PM / IP Logged  
wow rob im impressed i had to read that post twice and i was still trying to figure out what he said...i found the same specs on the amp and i wouldnt go below 4 ohm load if you want the amp to run more then a month or 2
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
caozbone 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2004 at 9:54 AM / IP Logged  

well, see, i integrated a sealed enclosure for the three subs into my spare tire well allowing all the subs to share the same air space making sure that there was a sufficient amount for all subs.  i also have a dhd crossover and my amp level is set as low as it can go, but i still have optimal sound.  i have another amp, but it is a 2 channel pyramid super blue 1000w X 1- 500 X 2,  2ohm stereo stable  and a 2 channel kenwood 225 that i dont know the ratings.  i used to have the pyramid & subs in series and used the kenwood for tweeters and 5" speakers. 

well, if nothing else, i can mold another top that can hold 4 12s, i just cant find the 450w impp any where

i live my life one decibel at a time!
forbidden 
Posted: January 23, 2004 at 1:06 PM / IP Logged  
For now lets get you to set up the third sub to be a passive radiator. Disconnect all of your subs from the amp. Rewire two subs only  to the amp in stereo mode, 280w x2 (right...this is why I asked for your fuse size). Wire only the two subs. The third sub will make sound as it's cone will move from the air pressure caused by the other two subs motion. This is a safe method for you to use all 3 subs for now and a safe method to operate your amp. Still, find yourself that 4th matching sub so we can get you to wire all 4 subs to the amp.
caozbone 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2004 at 1:47 PM / IP Logged  

sorry about that, the amp has two 20amp fuses. 

passive radiator?  wont the waves be baffled because the third sub is not moving in sync?  meaning, the third's movement would be a product of the other two's reaction.  or will this re-enforce the waves amplitude?

forbidden 
Posted: January 23, 2004 at 3:09 PM / IP Logged  
Based on the size of your fuses the amp if it is driven at 14.4 volts and is 100% efficient will produce about 570 watts rms in mono. Now your amp is not 100% efficient, more like 55% on a good day, this means it will plummet down to about 320 watts in mono or about 160 watts per channel. If the amp is not seeing a load of 14.4 volts and the power supply is unregulated (it should be) the power output will drop off as battery voltage goes down. Got lots going on right now so I'll have to double check my math later, if I'm wrong, someone will catch it and correct me. Try the setup with the sub to see how it sounds, it may infact be acoustically out of phase with the other two subs and thus be detrimental to the output, in this case it will be best to remove the sub and seal the hole off. In no case though should use wire all 3 of your subs up to the amp and expect it to work properly.
caozbone 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2004 at 3:21 PM / IP Logged  

well, i do have a pretty constant 14.4v.  the lowest it has dropped it to 14.0v.  i do not have the original "factory" battery.  i have an exact same battery wired in parallel.  then i have a capacitor between the amp and 2nd battery in parallel. 

but about my diagram.  will it run, or will it just ruin my speakers?

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic