icon

Dynaudio vs MB Quart

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
YStress 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2004 at 8:50 PM / IP Logged  

I have a 1999 BMW M3 convertible that I am looking to upgrade the sound system.  I have been out of the Car Audio scene for about 8 years, so I am looking for some feedback on people's experiences with front speakers.  I have a ZAPCO Model 200 (100 watts per channel) to drive my front speakers.  I don’t want to build custom kick panels nor do I want to hack up my doors. I do want high quality sound when I am cruising at high speeds.  I realize it is a convertible, so with the top down I am going to have issues…  

I am looking at the Dynaudio 220mk2 vs MB Quart QSD 213 because both will fit in the factory 5.25” location very well. The Dyn’s have a 90db efficiency rating vs the MB Quart’s 85 db.  If my memery serves me, I believe this tells me I will get more sound per watt from the Dyn’s.  My recollection of MB Quart speakers was that the tweeters are quite bright and in my convertible this could be a plus.  Any thoughts?

YStress 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2004 at 8:58 PM / IP Logged  

Sorry of the double post and the trash in the post.  Here we go again:

I have a 1999 BMW M3 convertible that I am looking to upgrade the sound system. I have been out of the Car Audio scene for about 8 years, so I am looking for some feedback on people's experiences with front speakers. I have a ZAPCO Model 200 (100 watts per channel) to drive my front speakers. I don’t want to build custom kick panels nor do I want to hack up my doors. I do want high quality sound when I am cruising at high speeds. I realize it is a convertible, so with the top down I am going to have issues…

I am looking at the Dynaudio 220mk2 vs MB Quart QSD 213 because both will fit in the factory 5.25” location very well. The Dyn’s have a 90db efficiency rating vs the MB Quart’s 85 db. }If my memery serves me, I believe this tells me I will get more sound per watt from the Dyn’s. My recollection of MB Quart speakers was that the tweeters are quite bright and in my convertible this could be a plus. Any thoughts?

audiocableguy 
Copper - Posts: 630
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2004 at 9:45 PM / IP Logged  
a few thoughts . . .I too was out of the car audio game for many years. Reviews and opinions pointed to the Quarts when it was time to buy. Focal and Dynaudio were other choices. Focal were too deep. Couldn't find a demo of the Dyn's.
The Quarts do have a harshness in the high end. Mids are clean and foreward. Mid/bass is where they loose it. I have 2 pairs of QSD 6.5 sets. and still can't get enough out of them from 80hz-300hz. Have tried a few different amps and still the same results. (Linear 3002, PPI 2150Am, Hifonics Boltar Series VII and an ADS PQ-40.2 which I'm using now). The ADS comp. sets aren't know for strong M/B either.
I am looking at other comp sets. Dynaudio, Diamonds (the originals with the Eaton Drivers) and possibly the Adire Koda 6 set. Not looking to play the name game buying speakers. Behind the factory grills it really doesn't matter. My ears will tell me what sounds good, not a salesman!
Please post what you find out!
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2004 at 10:05 PM / IP Logged  
To MY ears, Dynaudio and MBQ sound about the same, with Focal in the same family (even a bit harsher above 1.5K.)  Diamonds will get you a bit more MB around 100 Hz.  Vifa Scanspeak's 7" components (if you can still find them) are the best I've ever used from about 65 Hz on up.  I've not listened to or tested the Adire's but they have a great rep.  Take a listen to Nakamichi's 6.5" comp set for some VERY smooth mids.  I was also extremely impressed by the SEAS Lotus comps... so much so that I bought a set for myself (but have not been able to get them installed yet!)
Maxst 
Silver - Posts: 866
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2004 at 4:17 PM / IP Logged  

CDT audio has a good line of components with a "soft" tweet.

Im not sure of the mounting tho.  Check them out here:

http://cdtaudio.com/car_audio.htm

I need quality equipment, feel free to donate.
YStress 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2004 at 12:11 PM / IP Logged  
So far I am leaning towards the Dyns.  I prefer the mellower tweeter.  I am also a big fan of their mid-bass qualities.  I had the Dyns in a Jeep Warngler with the same amp I plan on using and I had no issues with clarity at high volumes. audiocableguy, do you have a BWM ? I have been discussing the Focals on another board and someone their believes I can get Focal Utopia 5.25"s in the factory location of my BWM 3 series.
audiocableguy 
Copper - Posts: 630
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2004 at 1:48 PM / IP Logged  
YStress, I have a 03' Harley Davidson F-150. Very few doors will take anything deeper than 2.75" without serious help these days! Reading reviews on the Focals, they don't seam to be without fault. Experimentation with mounting and long break-in times are common. I'm going to install the Koda 6 set next week and see what happens. will let you know . . .
RockinF150 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2004 at 5:28 PM / IP Logged  

My last system used some USD Audio 7.0 horns. The system before that I used the USD horns with the piezo tweeter. My point is, if you like natural high freq's, not bright, fake, hissing, ghetto tweeter sound, horns are a good way to go. I wouldn't spend the extra money on the high end horns again, the piezos were fine. I used a JBL 8 in my doors and (3) Alumapro Alchemy 12s.

Modestly powered by 4 US Amps and an Alumapro 15 farad cap and tamed by the usual Rane x-over and dual 1/3 octaves, I was pretty darn happy. Oh an Eclipse 5303 kicked it all off. This was in a '96 Cutlass Supreme.

Check into the inexpensive horns, I think they are under $300. Then all you need is a good pair of midbass, and a decent sub. 

By the end of the 3rd lap I saw Jesus so many times I started using Him as a brake marker.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2004 at 5:49 PM / IP Logged  
While you may not like the sound of a titanium tweeter in a store where it is pointed right at you, it will sound totally different in differing locations in a vehicle. The Quart tweeter has amazing off axis response thanks to it's titanium dome. You have a convertable, the first sound in the spectrum to go out the window is top end. I would have nothing but a good tweeter to keep as much as I can and MB Quart is usually the answer that we install in customers vehicles. At the end of the day though, it is you that have to listen to it, buy what you like and your ears prefer.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
YStress 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2004 at 7:47 PM / IP Logged  
forbidden, you hit the nail on the head.  If this was an enclosed car, then I would tend towards the mellow sounds of a soft dome tweet.  However, it is my summer car. If it is not raining, I drive with the top down.  The Dyns have excellent on axis response, but not so good off axis.  The Quarts excel in this area and may be the best fit for a convertible.  No matter what I select, I do not believe I will be disapointed.  The problem is that both are pricy and I will only know if I like it once the install is complete.  I am tending towards the Dyn's, because I could move the tweeter from the doors if it sounds week.  I would then need to build custom kicks.  I wanted to avoid the custom kicks, but easily within my skills to do.  Any other feedback from people's expiences with open air SQ installs would be appreciated.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic