icon

$650 to spend on two LCDs?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
geotexz71 
Copper - Posts: 65
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2004 at 10:58 PM / IP Logged  
Maybe I can help fellow 'burb man! I posted the same question some time back when I was looking to expand my system and only received one response so I did a lot of hands-on homework myself. I assembled my base A/V/Nav system before the market flooded with so many choices. At the time, only one source had both things I wanted --> touch screen and DVD navigation. So, my base is the Kenwood KVT-910DVD head coupled with the KNA-DV2100 nav system.
With my wife joining me on more and more road trips it was time to expand as I wanted to have the nav system, but wanted to allow her to have video entertainment. However, Kenwood has nil for add-on screens, and I was looking to add to the visors first. I found Power Acoustik 5.8" (PT-569MSV) and PYLE 5.6" (PLVS-MN56) screens at very inexpensive prices and ended up ordering one of each to have a look at them in person. Well, glad I decided to try them out before installing because you get what you pay for! At best, I would rate either as "fair" - with very faded pictures and lacking crispness. I then found some XO Vision 5.6" (XO256) units at slightly higher, but tolerable, price and ordered them to try out. Found them to be more in line with what I was looking for so installed one in each front visor.
I then decided to expand a few months later into the rear seating area. First stop was XO Vision but none of their larger screens produced the picture quality I wanted, especially with glare... On the advice of members of a Suburban forum I also visit, I gave VizuaLogic's "Perfect Match" replacement headrests with integral screens a shot. After shelling out $1250 (OUCH!) for a 2 headrest set (they were leather-wrapped) I was expecting something fantastic... Well, they weren't! The assemblies themselves were of excellent craftsmanship and a perfect match to the stock interior of the 'burb. However, the 7" monitors were nothing to sing about. Back they went as fast as they came... I then checked out the Alpine TME-M760 at a local dealer and was in awe of the picture, WIDE viewing angle and performance with glar, but most of all I was in AWE of the $650 price (best I could find at the time and it was on-line - dealer had them at $800)!!! So then I looked toward the original mobile video makers - Rosen - their LCDs were in airplanes before anyone was even thinking automobile applications so why not... Well, picked up a less spendy pair of Rosen Necvox FD7569s - paid $750 for BOTH with 2-day delivery from the left coast. I am VERY, VERY pleased with the Rosen units! Passengers, including my wife (who absolutely hates riding in the back), fight over who will be sitting behind the Rosens!!! Best bang for the buck in my case and you might be able to get them in your budget. Just my experience if it helps! Good luck!
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2004 at 5:18 PM / IP Logged  

I dont think anyone sells Rosen in my area and I wont be ordering off net so I will probobly just have to wait for the Alpine ones im looking at go on sale. Does the Alpine TME-M580 have a headrest mounting bracket you can buy? I would buy the TME-M760 which also comes with a headrest mounting bracket ,IF I HAD $1300 to spend on two monitors lol. Also does anyone know how good a Clarion VMA-7190's or VMA-6593's veiewing angle looks. They are a little lower priced then the Alpines.

geotexz71 
Copper - Posts: 65
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2004 at 6:03 PM / IP Logged  
The TME-M580 will require the KTE-580V kit for headrest mounting. Some dealers will throw it in if you pay their retail price for the monitors... Probably <$20 if bought seperately.
Can't help with the Clarion's as none of the local shops seem to have any of their screens (at least when I was looking)... Seems most local shops like to carry the highest end of everything when they carry it, and then the mark-up is outrageous... Good luck with your search!
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2004 at 8:58 PM / IP Logged  

Thx for everyones help ,especiallly geoteyz71. Feel free to post still if anyone else has any info!

balut 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: January 29, 2004 at 10:08 PM / IP Logged  

i have MOBILE-TV OHS-7M Overhead Monitor and MOBILE-TV HR-7 for the front. I spent a little over  $650 for both units but have no regrets. Picture resolution and off axis visibility is great, I mean I tried watching at the screens at the wierdest angles just to see if they get blurry but they didn't. One thing to know though is that they have no audio input so you're gonna have to get an FM modulator which is better, just to have that theater feel. Anyway they do have other models available so just check out their site www.mobile-tv.com.  BTW  'm in no way affiliated with this guys $650 to spend on two LCDs? - Page 2 -- posted image.

Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic