the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Amps Going into protection Mode

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Sebastian018 
Silver - Posts: 364
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2004 at 12:03 AM / IP Logged  
Ok guys, I have two Bazooka ELA500.1 and Two Pioneer Premier SPL series, Which im using one amp to each subs at 2 ohms 500w RMS (my amp is 2 ohms Stable),.
Bazooka amp have one pair of Imput and One output which in the mannual says that you can connect one rca in the output to connect another amp, so I did it that way, Im running only one rca to my crossover and one rca from one amp (rca output) to the other imput of the rca.
I was listening to one son from outkast (the way you move) which have a really good bass, And One get into Protection mode. Yesterday, the one amp get in to protection mode but the other no, Is either one or the other one.
I checked Ground.. And Im thinking it might be the Rca going from the output from the amp to the Imput of the other amp. Do you guys think it could be that>>. Or what else should i check..
thank you for your help
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2004 at 2:50 PM / IP Logged  

I've read about 15 reviews on this amp and almost all of them mentioned the amp overheating. You can purchase Bazookas cooling system but I would just get one amp that can handle both of your premeir subs like the Rockford Power 1000bd. This amp bridged in 2 ohms would output 500 watts to each of your subs. This is a really good amp that is underated. I think it would push your subs alot better. Just wire your subs to the mono output of the Power 1000bd like this :Amps Going into protection Mode -- posted image.

Heres a link to Crutchfield which has prices that are usually the same or better then your local dealer. http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-Zj5lqu5APCX/ProdView.asp?s=0&c=3&g=130&I=5751001BD&o=m&a=0&cc=01&avf=N

mobiletoys2002 
Gold - Posts: 1,050
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2004 at 5:07 PM / IP Logged  
what guage power cable did you run from the battery?? Is it a long run?? how long is your ground wire?? Do you have a good ground to the amps(directly to clean metal ,no paint, straight to the body)? Check the amps voltage when problem happens see if you have a big voltage drop this may be causing the amp to overheat sending it in protection mode.
Sebastian018 
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2004 at 10:59 PM / IP Logged  
Im running two gauge Rockford fostage flat wire from the battery to the trunk, then it goes to a distribution block which im using 4 gauge going to the amps. the voltage is arround 13.4, so im getting good voltage, What im thinking is the way i wire the capacitor.. Each amp have one capacitor, the way i did it was, ground metal to the - of the capacitor, - from the capacitor to the amp. what im going to do tomoorow, is - from the capacitor to ground and amp ground to the same spot as the capacitor... to see if something changes, I try with another amp same model , same thing happems. I bought new monster cable RCA , which i spend like $80,,
and i dont know what else could it be the problem..
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2004 at 11:24 PM / IP Logged  

OK, an amp going into protection mode probably has nothing to do with the power to the amp, unless it is going too low.  If you are staying around 13 volts, your power supply is probably fine.

First check your subs.  Swap the connections so the amps are powering the opposite sub and see if the problem moves.  If it does, there is something wrong with your sub or your speaker wire.  You say you are daisy-chaining the second amp off the output from the first one, and it is the second that is shutting down?  Make sure the RCA cable from the first amp to the second one is OK and connected properly. 

You say you have a cap for each amp, but the way you say you have them connected is strange.  It should be the + on the cap to the + (main power from the battery) on the amp, and the - on the cap to ground.  The amplifier ground can be the same location as the cap, but a different location is often cleaner.

Sebastian018 
Posted: January 24, 2004 at 11:31 PM / IP Logged  
Yes, It was wear, the mannual say that way, My old Capacitor the way i wire was positive from the battery to the cap and from the cap to the amp and negative from the cap to ground(metal) and amp to the same spot in the chassis,,.. I will do that tomorrow,, to see if anything changes... Because it have to do something with that, because when it goes into protection mode, the amp is not hot at all.....
and both amps goes into protection mode.....
Sebastian018 
Posted: January 24, 2004 at 11:34 PM / IP Logged  
and what did you say about the subs... my subs are Dual 4 ohms, Which can be wire into 2 ohms or 8 ohms, I did it at 2 ohms...
positive of one coil to positive of the other coil and to the amp, same with the negative...
mobiletoys2002 
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2004 at 11:50 PM / IP Logged  
how far i sthe ground from the cap to the amp?
Sebastian018 
Posted: January 24, 2004 at 11:55 PM / IP Logged  
less than 3 ft
mobiletoys2002 
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2004 at 11:58 PM / IP Logged  
your subs should work fine the way you wired them ,best thing is try what you are going to and see what happens and post back. good luck! i am not familiar with thse amps but maybe they are not that stable at 2 ohms.,like they claim.
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic