icon

Sansui rx-500 wiring

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
moody 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2004 at 3:26 AM / IP Logged  
Hi, I’m not a regular here and know very little about wiring car radios specifically (although I have good knowledge of amps and speakers in general.)
I have just picked up a Sansui rx-500 cassette player for nothing (I’m told it is working), which I want to use to replace the awful radio in my car (1992 Nissan Vannette).
The radio that I have taken out includes a wiring diagram, http://www.pbase.com/image/25406661
The wires of the Sansui are in two groups which I presume are power and speaker. The first group is Black (earth?), Red, Yellow, Purple and Blue. The second group is Grey with a black stripe, Grey, Green with a black stripe, Green, White and Brown.
The black, Red, Yellow and Purple wires run through an external fuse / transformer (??) unit http://www.pbase.com/image/25406671
I essentially want to know which wires I attach where (I have no problems with soldering etc.)
Thanks
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2004 at 1:39 PM / IP Logged  

Sansui is one of the good oldies in the industry, no longer in car audio production. What you have found for wiring though is still in use today, so your assumptions are correct.

Black - ground

Yellow - +12v (should be fused)

Red - +12v (may be fused)

Purple - (may be illumination +12v) - is this wire fused?

Blue - power antenna

Grey / black is right negative

Grey  is right front positive

Brown should be right rear positive

Green / black is left negative

Green is left front positive

White should be left rear positive

Does the player have a fader control? If so then the white and brown should be the speaker wires, I may have them backwards (as in left is right, right is left)

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
moody 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2004 at 3:48 PM / IP Logged  
forbidden wrote:

Sansui is one of the good oldies in the industry, no longer in car audio production. What you have found for wiring though is still in use today, so your assumptions are correct.

Thanks, This should be useful. I've got a couple of individual questions though?
forbidden wrote:

Black - ground

Yellow - +12v (should be fused)

Red - +12v (may be fused)

Purple - (may be illumination +12v) - is this wire fused?

Blue - power antenna

Ok, based on the following picture (link), which was on the radio that I took out of the car, which wires should I connect? Only the bottom 3 on the left and the 4 speaker wires on the right are actually connected to wires on the car end.
http://www.pbase.com/image/25420726
forbidden wrote:

Grey / black is right negative

Grey  is right front positive

Brown should be right rear positive

Green / black is left negative

Green is left front positive

White should be left rear positive

Does the player have a fader control? If so then the white and brown should be the speaker wires, I may have them backwards (as in left is right, right is left)

I presume I connect the two grey and the two green for stereo operation (Only two speakers)?
forbidden 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2004 at 3:59 PM / IP Logged  
Correct for 2 speaker operation, grey is usually right and green left. For the main power wiring on the plug with 3 wires I see on the top left pin  is ground, directly below I see the ignition line, beside to the right I see the illumination wire. On the other plug I see the power antenna out on the top left, directly below I see the constant power line. To the right of these wires I see the 4 speaker wires. Hope this gets things working for you.
moody 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2004 at 4:05 PM / IP Logged  
forbidden wrote:
Correct for 2 speaker operation, grey is usually right and green left. For the main power wiring on the plug with 3 wires I see on the top left pin  is ground, directly below I see the ignition line, beside to the right I see the illumination wire. On the other plug I see the power antenna out on the top left, directly below I see the constant power line. To the right of these wires I see the 4 speaker wires. Hope this gets things working for you.
The problem with that is that the ground is therefore not connected?? (that and the power antenna don't actually continue on to wires on the vehicle end). Would it be grounding through the antenna plug? (the radio on my old car did that).
forbidden 
Posted: January 24, 2004 at 5:23 PM / IP Logged  

Attach the ground wire to the vehicle metal chassis (any spot in the vehicle that is metal and goes to ground). Do not use the power antenna wire, tape it off so it does not short anything.

moody 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2004 at 11:26 PM / IP Logged  
forbidden wrote:

Attach the ground wire to the vehicle metal chassis (any spot in the vehicle that is metal and goes to ground). Do not use the power antenna wire, tape it off so it does not short anything.

I was going to do this - I was trying to figure out how it had been working. Possibly the casing of the radio was in connection with the chassis of the car?
forbidden wrote:
....directly below I see the ignition line.....
....On the other plug I see the power antenna out on the top left, directly below I see the constant power line....
Ok, last question (and thanks for all your help). Of the two +12v power lines (yellow and red), which goes to the ignition line and which goes to the constant power line? And please tell me if I'm off track on this.
moody 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 26, 2004 at 3:28 AM / IP Logged  
moody wrote:
forbidden wrote:

I was going to do this - I was trying to figure out how it had been working. Possibly the casing of the radio was in connection with the chassis of the car?
forbidden wrote:
....directly below I see the ignition line.....
....On the other plug I see the power antenna out on the top left, directly below I see the constant power line....
Ok, last question (and thanks for all your help). Of the two +12v power lines (yellow and red), which goes to the ignition line and which goes to the constant power line? And please tell me if I'm off track on this.
Bump for this last tiny question.
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 26, 2004 at 7:43 AM / IP Logged  
Yes, the antenna will reference a ground.  You should still connect to chassis ground as well.  Yellow is constant, and red is ignition/accessory.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
moody 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 29, 2004 at 3:29 AM / IP Logged  
geepherder wrote:
Yes, the antenna will reference a ground.  You should still connect to chassis ground as well.  Yellow is constant, and red is ignition/accessory.
Thank you - that's all I need.
Thanks everybody.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic