icon

dei tach problems

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
zargon 
Copper - Posts: 186
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2004 at 12:00 PM / IP Logged  
for those of you who install dei remote starts let me know if you are having a problem with tach , we are haveing a very hard time with tach, they run fine at install and once they sit over night they run one minute and shut down, we are working hard for a solution but every car is different, on newer fords they wont even work in voltage sense with dei the trouble is all the design tech and bull dogs i have done are not coming back. let me know so i can have ammo for my e-mail to my dei rep thanks ron
zargon ruler of estranorth
mobiletoys2002 
Gold - Posts: 1,050
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2004 at 1:18 PM / IP Logged  
the desighn tech has a better voltage sensing feature than dei actually they work beter using voltage then they do tach,i think at least. I have not seen this tach problem with dei yet .
profuse007 
Gold - Posts: 2,015
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2004 at 2:38 PM / IP Logged  
i have installed a bunch of DEI remote start, valet, vipers, cliffords, hornets and not a problem w/ tach.
do you only grab the tach from the injectors or it varies on cars?
Houston,TX
"The two most common elements in the universe are H+ and stupidity" (Ellison).
njcartronics 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2004 at 3:43 PM / IP Logged  
I am having a problem with an 02 Chrysler Concorde right now.  Avital 4100.  Voltage sense wasn't working when it was cold.  So I connected the tach (which I rarely use with DEI).  I hooked it to the injector/coil tan/? as the DEI tech page says.  It still will run for a minute, then shut down when cold.  I am thinking about going back to voltage sense and turning up the crank time.
-Paul
Southern NJ
zargon 
Copper - Posts: 186
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2004 at 4:57 PM / IP Logged  
my guess is that if you have not had any problems with tach this year you have not put many dei remote starts on, we are doing 6 to 8 a day and the fords are a constant problem, the 600 plus we put on last year had not one tach problem that i can remember, I was on the dei forum and many others had simular problems, after several years with the valet 551r as our best seller dei switched to their new design which we love to install if it wasnt for the tach problem and i just want dei to send off memeos leting those of us in the field get a heads up on the problem,all they should have to do is tell us theres a problem do this to correct it, and that they are working on the problem , but since the new management has taken over, there seems to be a lack of comunication, let me know if you are having a problem with tach on dei products, thank you.
zargon ruler of estranorth
njcartronics 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2004 at 5:09 PM / IP Logged  

I always use voltage sense.  I have installed about 50 Avital 3100 and 3200 units this year.  All voltage sense.  No problems. 

The 1st of the new units I have seen, the 4100, is giving me a hard time.  This is the 02 Concorde above.  Not sure if it is the new units, or this car! 

-Paul
Southern NJ
mecpcert_1 
Copper - Posts: 83
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 25, 2004 at 9:39 PM / IP Logged  

this is what i found out at work today. the problem is with the newer fords and mercs for the tach wire.  the d.e.i. remote starters are shutting down because of over-rev protection or low rpm.

the scenario:  car will shut down after 3 minutes once remote started.

check timer mode, check turbo timer mode.......nothing!  3 minute run time.

the solution is to go to one of the non-common wires at the fuel injectors.

i have a 2002 ford explorer coming back for this same problem. i'll keep this subject posted to let everyone know how it went.

i thought D.E.I. was ISO 9002 registered and certified? dei tach problems - Last Post -- posted image.                             

do it right the first time....less warranty work=more money!:)
sroth140 
Silver - Posts: 513
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 25, 2004 at 9:45 PM / IP Logged  

i dont know how many times ive posted this but:

the newer DEI remote starts have to be hooked up on the actual coil or ecu on domestics, except fords.  the DEI techs told me to use the injectors on newer fords.  also, this is not a DEI say so, but from the units we have been installing, they are VERY sensative to the vehicles voltage.  this means for remote starting and entering programming.  i had a 99 GA that read 12.11v on the battery and it wouldnt enter programming, so i put the shop charger on it and brought it up to 14.5 and it worked fine.  also, if the vehicle has a normally low battery and you know the tach is fine, throw the shop chager on it for a sec and activate the remote start sequence while its charging.  if it works, do that bout 10 times to verify that when given an higher voltage, the DEI product will still remote start.

JWorm 
Platinum - Posts: 2,208
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 25, 2004 at 10:34 PM / IP Logged  
Go check out the forums at directechs.com and see all the complaints about the redesigned dei products with tach issues and range issues.
sroth140 
Silver - Posts: 513
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 26, 2004 at 12:21 AM / IP Logged  
in my post i was referring mainly to the 4000 and 4200.  thats the bulk of what we do.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic