icon

JL sub or JBL

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
TDean 
Member - Posts: 32
Member spacespace
Posted: January 25, 2004 at 1:01 PM / IP Logged  
I'm currently running a JL 10w3v2 in a sealed box powered with a 500/1.  Thinking about going to a JBL P1020d II or a JL w6v2.  On paper, the JBL seems to have a slight edge.  I like JL stuff and I am not loyal to one brand, but if anyone can tell me that the JBL isn't any better, I would like to hear it before I switch brands.  Also, are JBL and Infinity even in the same arena.  I am open to any suggestions.  Like I said, I'm not loyal to any one brand.  Quality, relatively low cost and availability are the main factors.  JL does not fall into the low cost area as far as retail goes and for the price I would think the termimals should be bulletproof.  So far,  that would be my only gripe with the stuff from JL.  Maybe they will put push terminals on the 10 and 12s like the new 15w3v2 and not inflate the price.  Yeah, right!!!  I realize the 10w6v2 has better terminals, but thought the JBL might be a cheaper alternative.  Thanks for reading
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 25, 2004 at 2:07 PM / IP Logged  
JBL and Infinity make about the same quality of products I think. I would just save up for the JL because I think they make better stuff and it would be well worth it.
TDean 
Member - Posts: 32
Member spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2004 at 12:24 AM / IP Logged  
I had a weak moment and crossed the line for comparing jbl to jl.JL sub or JBL -- posted image. Ok, no more faces.
danw2002 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2004 at 6:07 PM / IP Logged  

sorry, but JBL is a bit better then the JL depending on which one you are compairing to, many dealers dont stock the higher end JBLs.   the newer JL's are much better but JBL is a bit higher on the food chain, JL has done an excellent job marketing( what really put them on the map is their Speaker manual first done in the early 90's, so any idiot could build a decent box if they follow the manual).  BTW i know the JL people, have known them for many years, when they first started out.  but eather one will give you good base if put in right.....my mantra i tell customers....put a cheep sub in a well built box that is right for it and the car and it will sound 'good' ,  put a good sub in a bad box and it can sound ok, put a good sub in a good box and it will sound much better, put a great sub in a great box/or what ever the sub needs to be its best, and now you are really cooking.....swing....do and have used both....

Danw2002, 20+ years doing custom nut ball things...in Seattle..
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2004 at 6:36 PM / IP Logged  
How is JBL better then JL. Most of their technology and parts isnt even close to JL's. JBL uses off the shelf stuff and JL uses their own stuff they have designed or bought from a private company. If you're talking about an SPL sub from JBL it might be louder but It could also sound like crap. JL's quality is way better then JBL.
danw2002 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2004 at 6:54 PM / IP Logged  
hehehe, and your information is based on what?  JBL has made there own stuf for years, JL first started out just buying stuff and putting it together, more and more they have stuff custom built for them.  JBL did cast frames long time ago, flat wound voice coils, advanced cooling for the VC, very hight end cone coating technology(aquaplas) and more, bottom line, there are many good woofers out there now, JBL and JL included...so to each his/her own......
Danw2002, 20+ years doing custom nut ball things...in Seattle..

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic