Compustar Review & Questions

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
homeguy 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: January 26, 2004 at 4:44 PM / IP Logged  

Hi,

I had two compustar SS units installed on my vehicles.   The range on these units are incredible.  Yesterday we went to the movies and my car started from insided the theater.  The theater is a multiplex and I was on the other side of the building and sitting near the top row.  The signal had to go through cement walls and glass doors.  My car was also parked far away.  I also was able to start my car from the back of Target with the one way remote which is suppose to be less powerfull then the two way remote.   I also have the newer units and have two remotes on each car.  A small one way remote and a larger LCD 2 way remote.  The shock sensor is not very sensitive which is good for me and I have dome light supervision, passive lock, etc. which all work great. 

Now the bad.  On one car the two way remote began to act weird.  The icons for locking and unlocking would not showup on the remote. Also, if I started the car from the LCD remote I wouldn't get a response form the remote that the car was started.  Exhaust is suppose to come out of the car that is pictured on the LCD.  I re-set the remote and it would work for a bit and then back to the same problems.  Now I can't get the remote to reporgram to the car.  I turn the ignition on and off 5 times fast and take the battery in and out of the remote.   Keep in mind that the one way remote works perfectly.  Is there a chance that the antenna is bad?  Or does it sound like the remote?

On my other car the one way remote works great but the two way remote isn't.  I have to press or try the lock and unlock button several times before the car unlocks.  Same with starting the car.  However, once the car is locked/unlocked or started I get confirmation on the LCD screen. The funny thing is that with the one way remote I only have to press the button once.  Does this sound like a bad remote too?  What are the chances of getting two bad remotes with my install.  Is thsi a common problem with these units?

Thanks in advance

Teken 
Gold - Posts: 1,492
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 26, 2004 at 4:49 PM / IP Logged  
The unit is a toy, and over time performs as such. Noone who I have ever met, and has used the systems from them, over a course of a year has ever been happy.
Everything you have stated, is common. If you just got the unit, then have them warranteed.
Oh, I forgot, they say it on paper. But they don't actually do that !
That's customer service for you.Compustar Review & Questions -- posted image.
Regards
EVIL Teken . . .
homeguy 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2004 at 6:09 AM / IP Logged  

My installer is sending out two new LCD remotes.   I also found out that the shock sensor has 10 settings for sensitivity.  Anyway, I think you're a little hard on Compustar.  The SS technology is incredible.  My friend has the Audiovox Prestige and his remote start has limited range.  What is the point of having a remote start if it doesn't start your car from inside stores/theaters, etc.  Once I get the new remotes I'll be very happy.  I use to hace a DEI Avital and had terrible range.  It would start my car from inside my house but not from inside the building I work in or any other commercial building.  It really sucked.  I had it removed.  The Viper and Clifford are good but the range is just OK. 

jrilla 
Gold - Posts: 1,498
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2004 at 8:16 AM / IP Logged  
I understand exactly what you are saying about the importance of range, but I also am not going to put up with a transmitter that gets PMS. I had a unit in a couple years back that had incredible range. I parked in the farthest spot away from the doors at Target (I use Target as my reference because it has more interference from my experience) and I started the thing from the back wall inside. Not only is the actual distance in that case pretty far, but the interference makes it all the more impressive. Anyway, the transmitter did funny things and it just wasn't worth it. Now the unit I have I like to some extent because it is reliable, but the range is not as good. I can still start it in the movie theatres and at work if I am near a window (I dont need to be able to see it, but just so the signal can get outside easier). Actually the range I think would be poor with any unit I had in my Van. I have a 2002 Venture which has a transparent film covering the 99% of my windshield which acts as the radio's antenna. So my receiver is in that 1%, which is in the middle of the tinted stripe across the top.
Well that was a long enough story that didnt pertasin much to your plight, but I just thought I would mention how I hear what yopu are saying about not much point in not having good range, but I also know putting up with a bad transmitter is really not worth it. Especially if you dont kinow if the thing is just going to stoip working on you the day after the warranty ends then you have to buy a new unit altogether since the cost of a single transmitter is typically 50 to 75% of the cost of a new system that comes with two new transmitters.
I also want to say that it doesnt sound like Teken is unjustly giving Compustar a hard time. I have heard the same reviews he gave and I wont touch Compustar. I have always been curious how great the range really is, but I will never buy one myself just to find out.
Keep your situation updated, I would be interested in knowing if you end up with reliable transmitters.
J Rilla
Owner/Installer
homeguy 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2004 at 2:50 PM / IP Logged  

I've also read many stories of happy Compustar users.  Also, the one way remotes are awesome and work perfectly.  Today I started my car inside my building with the little remote.  I was in the computer room with 40 computers sending out EMI and the signal had to go through 4 cement walls and my car was parked way in the back.  Even if the LCD remote isn't flawless the one way remote that now works with the SS units are rock solid.  I'll let you guys know if the new LCD remotes work better then the ones I have.

homeguy 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2004 at 11:42 AM / IP Logged  
Just received my new LCD remotes and they work great. 
Autos4U 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2004 at 10:01 AM / IP Logged  

I recently picked up the Compustar line and am green to all their posted quirks. I have had remote problems already on the SS line.

I put the ss unit on my own personal vehicle (that sits in the garage most of the time) and it is a 6-speed.

Everything except for losing communication with the remote occassionally, works as advertised and I am very happy with the product and happy with selling it. One night at home, however, my car alarm starts going off in the garage. I grab the transmitter off the fridge and notice the battery is blinking dead. I change the battery and go with the key to put the vehicle in valet to re-learn the remote. As soon as I put the key in my ignition, the car remote started!

My wife had drove it last and left it in gear! Luckily, I was paying attention and grabbed the clutch before I went through my freezer. Needless to say, I am thinking I won't be installing these on any customer manual transmission cars.

I have installed the 2-way FM on my auto truck and have had zero remote problems with it and still find it to have great range.

Tucker

Scared the hell out of me! Pretty wierd!

Teken 
Gold - Posts: 1,492
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2004 at 11:36 AM / IP Logged  
How did it RS, it is suppose to have a *reservation* mode, which is suppose to protect you from something like that?
homeguy 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2004 at 3:24 PM / IP Logged  
I would call Compustar's technical line.  It sounds like it wasn't installed properly.  I went to Ikea yesteday and forgot my LCD remote.  Too bad because that would have been on hell of a test.  So far I've never been out of range with the LCD remote.  The one way remote is also powerful but it has limits.  If I had to live just with the one way remote on the SS unit I would still be very happy. 
securinu 
Silver - Posts: 772
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2004 at 6:27 PM / IP Logged  

Well as more have chimed in "other than losing communcation with the remot"  what is that???

Do what i did get rid of this JUNK out of your shop. I got compustar to take back all my defective 15 out of the first 20 i bought then sold them to another shop and i still ended up losing over $10 grand on that CRAP. I had one of the SS units in my Durango trying to demo one of my local dealers and the crap didnt work. Yeah that went over well. Get out while they are still in business.

Joe O'Byrne
Owner / Installer
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic