icon

cutting out, maybe voltage?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
devilsquid 
Copper - Posts: 129
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2004 at 6:12 PM / IP Logged  

ok, i have a viper 500.4 amp and i have a sony 10" sub connected to the rear inputs( in brigded or in stereo), and when ever i crank it...especially on low bass, the amp cuts off, and then comes back on, then off again, until i turn it down...

I have been told that i need to hook a second battery for this amp, but i wonder what real advantage that will have.  adding a battery in series, creates 24 volts, and in parrallel 12 volts, and double amps...

the amp has power ratings for 14.4 volts. but how do i get that much voltage to the amp...and will that solve my prob?

mobiletoys2002 
Gold - Posts: 1,050
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2004 at 6:18 PM / IP Logged  
when you start your car you get that voltage aproximately. you may need thicker power wire thicker ground wire,bigger alternator. Adding another battery will do nothing for you, at least while the car is running.
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2004 at 6:29 PM / IP Logged  

Make sure your sub's ohm rating isnt below 4 ohms (unless your amp is a mono amp ,if this is the case these usually can go down to atleast 2 ohms) if you have your amp bridged because most amps when bridged dont like a load lower then 4 ohms. If you have it running in stereo most amps will be able to handle 2 ohms. If your subs start cutting out on you then your impedance is probobly too low for your amp. I would also make sure your ground wire is grounded well(connected directly to your cars chassis where you have scraped away paint/cleaned the area) like forbidden said.

customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2004 at 6:29 PM / IP Logged  
I mean mobiletoys2002. sorry
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2004 at 6:36 PM / IP Logged  
Also, your input sensitivity could be set incorrectly causing the amp to overload.  If you are sending too hot a signal to a Viper amp, it will cut out just like you describe.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2004 at 6:57 PM / IP Logged  
No matter what the case is, your amp is going into protection as it is designed to do. I would think that Dyohn is on the right path for you. What is the model # of the sub you have?
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
devilsquid 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2004 at 1:58 PM / IP Logged  

im not sure the of the model number of the sub, but it does it with any sub i use(all at 4ohms)...but i was thinking that this amps just not made to push a sub the way a d class is.  Am i right to assume that?

DYohn 
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2004 at 2:11 PM / IP Logged  
Check you input levels!  The amp you list is fine for a 4-ohm sub.
devilsquid 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2004 at 2:28 PM / IP Logged  
input levels are 4v from an alpine 9811
DYohn 
Posted: January 28, 2004 at 2:32 PM / IP Logged  
OK, let me be a bit more clear.  I believe your amp gain is set too high.  You need to setup your amp correctly, meaning you need to set its input level (the gain knob) to match the oputput from your head unit.  Do you know how to do this?
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic