icon

Subwoofer Install

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kcirdnek 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2004 at 11:29 AM / IP Logged  
I need some help also. I am tired of having cars with big ass boxes in the trunk. I use to hate the fact that if I wanted to go in my trunk, I'm looking over my shoulders. I can't open the trunk everywhere that I go. In this car that I have now, I want to do something different for me. I have a 1996 Impala. What I want to do
is cut out the metal in the back deck and put up a board for 4 free air 10s. Now, the thing is, I don't know what this would sound like. Can someone tell me if this would bang or not. I know some free air subs don't take a lot of power. The Alpines max at 600 watts and the Pioneers max at 500 watts. Kickers have free airs also, but I don't know if they are real free airs or not. I'm looking more at the Alpines because they are DVC's. I would like the car to bang but I don't want all that sh*t in my trunk anymore. Any suggestion would be helpful. If I can't get a bang without a box in my trunk, then I'll just cut the back deck and put a board with 6 6X9's back there and be through with it.
kidtransam 
Copper - Posts: 99
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2004 at 12:08 PM / IP Logged  
Me and my partner installed 4 kicker 10s (free air) in the rear deck of a bubble chevy....honestly for free air..they pounded pretty good..personally I would rather have an enclosure but it really did sound pretty good.
With a torch and a big enough hammer...it WILL friggin fit!!
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2004 at 1:27 PM / IP Logged  
A trade off might be a sub that works in a small sealed box, have you considered that or do you want to get rid of the box altogether. What kind of sound are you looking for?
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
kcirdnek 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2004 at 3:07 PM / IP Logged  
I know about the smaller enclosures. I have two solo baric 15's(the round ones). I really didn't want to hook those up in the car because it makes a big box. Remember, I have a '96 Impala. It has a big ass trunk. If I put smaller woofers in it(like the 10's that I mentioned), I need more to make the car bang. If two 10's would bang on there own, I would leave it at that. But, I know that won't happen.
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2004 at 3:33 PM / IP Logged  
if you have 2 of the round 15's have you considered fiberglassing into the area behind the wheel wells? you can put grills over them and then they arnt dead on to sight.   if you really want to go snaky, you could fiberglass one on each side and use fabric to cover the grills and face of the fiberglass enclosure then you wont see anything, you can normally get fabric that matches most trunks at you local hobby store
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2004 at 5:02 PM / IP Logged  
You could buy something like JL's W7 and put two of them in small sealed boxes and it still hit hard with trunk space left.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2004 at 5:09 PM / IP Logged  
Things have changed since your Solo 15's were out. I would have a serious look at two Eclipse aluminum 12's, a sealed box of 1.25 cu.ft gross per sub and add an Audio Control Epicenter. This is a very small box (10's take the same airspace so go with the larger driver) and can easily fit in your cavern of a trunk. hello hello hello....... Make sure you have adequate power for these subs and they will not dissappoint you. Some of us here like JL Audio, but most of us will recommend Eclipse over them, especially those of us that can sell both brands. The output of these subs will probably do more than you expect, it is unparalled sq and very good sq, the only subs I can think of that might give them a challenge, are their big brothers, the Titanium 12'sSubwoofer Install - Last Post -- posted image.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
kcirdnek 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2004 at 1:44 PM / IP Logged  
Did anybody else have any ideas or suggestions that could help me out?
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2004 at 3:35 PM / IP Logged  
like i said fiberglass 2 in to the sides behind the wheel wells,    cover them with fabric and you wont be able to tell at all
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic