icon

1996 suburu outback

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mobiletoys2002 
Gold - Posts: 1,050
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 29, 2004 at 5:11 PM / IP Logged  
Well i dont know where to start on this one i have a 1996 outback that needs a lot of work with a new rack and steering related issues,as well as brake isuues but this is my new problem i noticed today. For the last week or so the belts have been making a screeching sound that used to go away in a few minutes now it does it all the time. When the car is running the guages go down to nothing when any accesories are turned on,if i turn the blinker on the rpms jump with the blinks,i hope that makes sense.
Now if i have the defroster on the rpms and speedo drop if i turn radio on tehy go out completly as soon as i turn them off the guages come back. Now while this is happening the car runs fine dont feel lik eit is going to stall.
It seems like an alternator issue but im not sure any ideas???
mobiletoys2002 
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 29, 2004 at 5:55 PM / IP Logged  
Any ideas guys I need some input please!
ihookitup4u 
Member - Posts: 23
Member spacespace
Posted: January 29, 2004 at 7:44 PM / IP Logged  

Yah it sounds like alternator. Check for loose belts and adjust as required. Put a battery test and alt test to the thing as c what u get.

BTW:

All cars come factory undergrounded. Check for ground straps motor to chassis, battery to chassis, battery to motor, trans to chassis and make sure they r all there if to many people have worked on it you are prolly missing some of those and good power comes from good ground not just an alternator. in a manner of speaking.

mobiletoys2002 
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 29, 2004 at 9:29 PM / IP Logged  
hey velocity can you give me an opinion ?
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 29, 2004 at 9:59 PM / IP Logged  

I'd say it's a definite maybe.  No, just kidding.  I'd also start with the battery and charging system.  You said your belt is constantly squealing.  You also noted you'll have to replace the rack and pinion.  I looked on www.autozone.com, and it seems you have the same belt for both the alternator and power steering.  That's probably the reason, or at least part of the reason for your problems.  If the alternator belt is slipping, the alternator can't charge to it's full potential, leaving your car in a weakened state.  We all know and have probably seen cases of things not working properly with too low a voltage.  I believe your running voltage is borderline enough for the electronic gauges and such until you turn on some accessories.  I think ihookitup4u has some good points.  Checking your grounds are an excellent idea as well.  If you go up to AutoZone, they can test your battery and charging system at no charge.  Pick up some belts while you're there.

Man, used cars can be such a pain sometimes.  You don't always know how many owners they've had, or what kind of maintenance has been done.  Give the vehicle a thorough look over.  Check the battery/charging system, belts/hoses, ignition components, tires/brakes, and flush all fluids.  This may take you a weekend, so grab a buddy.  Here's a useful site with some ideas of things to check:  http://www.autosite.com/garage/garmenu.asp.

My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
mobiletoys2002 
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2004 at 10:13 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks guys but well I kinda figured it and yeah it was the alternator, it crapped out. Well gotts buy a new one to top my parts list off,lol! Thanks guys for the help !
mobiletoys2002 
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2004 at 10:14 AM / IP Logged  
oh by the way I need new belts too, but the alternator was shot as well,who knows maybe the bad belts helped the alternator die!
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 30, 2004 at 7:36 PM / IP Logged  
Ya think?  Yeah, I had a similar problem a while back too.  I got stranded on the highway with a dead battery, and my hazard lights were suddenly no longer working!  I was only getting 10 volts at the battery with the motor running.  My family came, and we pushed the car off to the side of the road, and had to buy a new battery just to make it home.  With the new battery in place, it read 11.9 at all engine speeds, so I assumed the alternator was bad, but the battery allowed me to make it the last 10 miles home.  I bought an alternator, and swapped it out with the old one.  The voltage at the battery was the same (11.9 at all speeds).  I measured the voltage at the alternator itself- 16+!  I was getting frustrated, and the next day started tracing the harness, racking my brain.  It turns out I had a fusible link that had cracked through completely, and that extra resistance had killed the battery.  I replaced the fusible links, and my voltage remained at 16+ volts.  Yikes!  I took it back and had it swapped again.  14.1-14.4 at all speeds, and called it good.  Whew!  Now I had to troubleshoot the hazards.  I started tracing the harness, and it turned out that when I had the motor swap done overseas, the "electricians" had twisted and taped all connections, even under the hood!  No wonder I had to get an exemption for emissions!  I put some solder and tape on all the connections, and have never had a problem since.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
mobiletoys2002 
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2004 at 7:45 PM / IP Logged  
i had anlternator test done on it and the alternnator is only putting out minimal current so it need sto be replaced!! It i snot charging battery at all and when all this was happening i was driving on battery voltage not the alternator it was doing nothing!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic