icon

comp vr weird smell

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
flatulatta 
Silver - Posts: 356
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 29, 2004 at 8:18 PM / IP Logged  
i have 2 compvr 12s and a jbl 600.1 amp ive got an overall load of 2ohms so im gettin the full 600 to the subs... my question is... when i play it loud for around a min or so it starts to smell really weird... ive heard of it before but only while breakin them in...and they are past broken in and i dont think i could blow them with that amp any one had this prob b4 thanx
mobiletoys2002 
Gold - Posts: 1,050
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 29, 2004 at 8:23 PM / IP Logged  
they should handle that powe rbut it sounds like the coils are getting extremely hot making that smell! Box design matters in how much power a particualar sub can handle what kind box ,size ,etc do you have.
flatulatta 
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 29, 2004 at 8:26 PM / IP Logged  
umm right now its in a bandpass box im in the process of building a new box for them......i think.... but the overall cuft of the box is like 3cuft total i dont know how u figure it out per sub in a bnadpass though...is it the box causing it to smell u think?
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 29, 2004 at 8:26 PM / IP Logged  
yeah if you have a ported box your sub's continuous power handling gos down about 100 watts I think.
mobiletoys2002 
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 29, 2004 at 8:29 PM / IP Logged  
best thing you can do is turn gains down a bit till you redesign a box maybe sealed will be good sealed will handle extreme power levels!
flatulatta 
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 29, 2004 at 8:30 PM / IP Logged  
my gains arent that high... and it doesnt smell at all... except when i basically max out the amp....
ryken_design 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: January 29, 2004 at 8:30 PM / IP Logged  

Not to be a smart ass but check your wiring, are you running stereo maybe, one sub off each channel. If so not good, mono bridge it. Otherwise my suggestion would be just as simple as back of the gains, they may handle the power ratings but if you are pushing the amp to hard you will get distortion which is actually the most common sub destroyer, not wattage.

flatulatta 
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 29, 2004 at 8:31 PM / IP Logged  
um its a mono amp with a sub preout from the deck....
mobiletoys2002 
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 29, 2004 at 8:33 PM / IP Logged  
back down the gains a hair this will minimize distortion even if you cant hear it! trust me you dont want to burn the coils you will ruin those speakers,you said it youself it only happens when you max the amp so turn th egains down so that max is not so powerful in a sense!
ryken_design 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: January 29, 2004 at 8:34 PM / IP Logged  
Again I was not trying to be a smart ass, sadly enough I have seen it done many times.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic