icon

Internal Bracing FG enclosures?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
tnrplaya 
Copper - Posts: 58
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 29, 2004 at 9:52 PM / IP Logged  
I am building a FG trunk enclosure, I am building it in two pieces; the bottom piece is a mold of the spare tire well and the top piece will be contoured. My question is how should i build the internal braces that keep the whole thing from exploding. I know that with a traditional MDF enclosure bracing is critical, and lack there of can be plain dangerous. I assume the same is true for fg. The problem I am running into is measuring the correct height and attaching internal bracing...anyone out there have any good ideas? thanks! If it matters, the enclosure is a sealed design and will house (2) JL Audio 12w6v2's powered by PG limited edition octane amp.
PG Limited Edition Octane Aplifier
PG Ti400.2
(2) JL12w6v2
Focal 165KF
JL TR-690TXi
Sony XAV-7W
Sony 10 Disc MP3 Changer
X-box
APC 350W inverter
Monster 1/0
Irragi 180A Alternator
wht94stang 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2004 at 10:34 AM / IP Logged  
What kind of brace are you looking for, the brace for the internal box for the spare tirewell?  This is what i did for my spare tire well for my stang.Internal Bracing FG enclosures? -- posted image.I don't know if your looking what to do to hold it togeather or what, clarify and i'll see what i can help ya out with.
tnrplaya 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2004 at 12:27 PM / IP Logged  
I am looking to find out how to make internal braces. I know how to get a secure attachment between both pieces, but I know that with a MDF box you have to build some supports inside "you should be able stand on your speaker box and jump up and down" ~JL audio website. but I am not sure how to do this with FG or if it is necisary (sp). my first thought is just to make some posts out of mdf and guess and check for the length but if someone has some better ideas, i am all ears!
PG Ti400.2
(2) JL12w6v2
Focal 165KF
JL TR-690TXi
Sony XAV-7W
Sony 10 Disc MP3 Changer
X-box
APC 350W inverter
Monster 1/0
Irragi 180A Alternator
beyondamfm 
Copper - Posts: 105
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2004 at 12:33 PM / IP Logged  

As long as your fg box is thick enough you should'nt really need any internal bracing, unless there will be more than two subs bigger than 18"s. but you should start with a frame made of MDF and then glass around that.

The Clear Bra Guy
KCs premiere paint protection guru
wht94stang 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2004 at 12:35 PM / IP Logged  

ok when you have your baffle rings braced, i used some T shape metal posts. And i used a door hinge to hold them in the middle.  Then took a nice piece of cloth, little thick, but stretchy.  Once fiberglass'd my 180 pound body can stand on it after a good 4 to 5 layers.  Is that waht you were lookign for? Hope this helps.

tnrplaya 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2004 at 8:16 PM / IP Logged  

I'm not too sure i understand the "t shaped posts" concept, do you have any pics? thanks.

PG Ti400.2
(2) JL12w6v2
Focal 165KF
JL TR-690TXi
Sony XAV-7W
Sony 10 Disc MP3 Changer
X-box
APC 350W inverter
Monster 1/0
Irragi 180A Alternator
pureRF 
Silver - Posts: 619
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2004 at 11:58 AM / IP Logged  
A good thing to use for amazing strength when making a fiberglass box is coremat. It can be found on any website that supplies fiberglass materials and is applied like mat.
dream it, build it, fiberglass it
tnrplaya 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2004 at 12:33 PM / IP Logged  
so to clarify...bracing a FG enclouse is NOT necissary, as long as the sides (or parts mad out of glass are rigid enough? Currently I am 2 layers of  bondo "cloth" and 4 layers of  bondo "mat" thick....about .25'' is this thick enough or do i have to keep goin? thanks!
PG Ti400.2
(2) JL12w6v2
Focal 165KF
JL TR-690TXi
Sony XAV-7W
Sony 10 Disc MP3 Changer
X-box
APC 350W inverter
Monster 1/0
Irragi 180A Alternator
pureRF 
Silver - Posts: 619
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2004 at 2:54 PM / IP Logged  
In fiberglass curves are extreamly strong without tons of glass but its mostly the flat areas u need to worry about. But no, it is not necessary to brace although it is done because people would rather brace and put less glass then not brace and put more. But if you layer the glass enough on the flat areas and have enough in the curves you will be fine. I would put on about 3 more layers on ur box in the flat areas and you should be fine.
dream it, build it, fiberglass it
tnrplaya 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2004 at 6:22 PM / IP Logged  

Most of the FG is laid with a slight curve [look at the diagram] how many more layers should I expect to do? It will be a sealed enclosure for (2) JL 12w6v2's powered by Phoenix gold LE octane (approx 400w RMS) Thanks again everyone, you've all been super helpful!

PG Ti400.2
(2) JL12w6v2
Focal 165KF
JL TR-690TXi
Sony XAV-7W
Sony 10 Disc MP3 Changer
X-box
APC 350W inverter
Monster 1/0
Irragi 180A Alternator
Page of 2