Bandpass, Sealed or Other?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
f1monkey 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2004 at 1:39 AM / IP Logged  
Here's my dillema.
I got a new car and I've upgraded all of the audio system and along with that I got a 12" sub in a sealed enclosure. The box was custom made for the Diamond Audio woofer by a professional. After a week of the the new sub I came to the conclusion that it's kind of annoying (only hits when the music is dynamic) and I don't really like it. I listen to rock music and everyone told me a single 12 in a sealed box is perfect for that, well it's not.
So I borrowed my old sub box from my friend that I sold my old car to. Get this, it's a dual reflex isobaric bandbass box with 2 8's(don't even remember what the speakers are, I know they were very cheap, I thought the box would suck). I built the box myself, so It can't be %100 quality and right now I've got the 2 speakers wired without flopping the phase on one speaker(I have a monoblock sub amp and it doesn't like to flop phase on only one speaker).
In my new car, I like this box so much better than the 12. It's a lot mellower and works a lot better in the trunk than the 12. Everything I've read of 6th order stuff doesn't have a whole lot nice to say. If I pop in a bass CD the bass isn't flat and I wouldn't expect it to but then again I listen to rock and it sounds good on that.
So, I need to get a new box. I'm not getting a sealed, I know what they sound like. I'm going to do one of the following:
Make the same 6th order box with 10's(adjust params for 10's of course)
Make\Buy a single reflex bandpass with 2 10's
or
Make\Buy a ported box with 2 10's
Opinions? I'm hoping that a single reflex bandpass will sound a little better and be as efficient(loud) as my old 6th order box.
- Kyle
Fosgate3 
Copper - Posts: 328
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2004 at 6:15 AM / IP Logged  

Kyle, I am a metal head myself. I have tried a variety of boxes through life and have enjoyed many. A sealed box can work good if you have some good signal processing. If you are trying to get some good boomy low bass like what you would find in Korn or Tool, I would go with a ported box. I don't care for bandpass boxes. They may work like a pro but they always look cheezy to me. A vented enclosure is on average, about 3dB louder than a sealed... maybe more maybe less. They are "boomier" than a sealed. You lose the tight, hard-hitting, impact bass like you would have if you listened to speedmetal in a sealed box. I would recommend one 12 in a ported/vented box for your application.

Isobaric enclosures have no discernable purpose that I have ever read or heard about in my life. They seem to be strictly for cosmetic use. Two woofers working in a push-pull design, using the space of only one woofer. Okay well ifyou only took that alone it would be "cool! this looks neat and works in half the space!" However, for everythign that I have read in my life about enclosure design and woofer applications (and that's alot!), the output is the same as it would if you only had one woofer playing! so why bother with the design? Because its cosmetically appealling to some ppl.

Another thing that could help your sealed enclosure: sometimes "professionally built" is not professionally built. Structurally it could be but what I mean is the thought that goes into the building. I have met boxbuilders who build on the minimum size enclosures! This makes a tiny box, yes but it reduces the output. The smaller the box is, the less its ability is to go low. On the flipside though, the smaller it is, the more power it can take. Ported/vented boxes can utilize less power. They are more efficient with a smaller amp and have a stronger output than a sealed enclosure would on the same amp. Check the enclosure volume and relate it to the spec sheet. Make sure the box is built to what Diamond Audio is calling "optimal spec" instead of the smallest size available.

Hope this helps.

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2004 at 10:02 AM / IP Logged  

Good advice.  Welcome to the forum, Fosgate3.

Here's a great resource to help you choose an enclosure type, by the way: http://www.diysubwoofers.org/caraudio.htm

f1monkey 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2004 at 1:10 PM / IP Logged  
I think what I like about the bandpass is that the notes are held out making it smoother than a sealed box. I've never had a ported enclosure in my trunk but I know for the same amount of power they are louder and not as tight.
Here's an example I've what I like. Take the song "sad but true" by metallica. The begining has notes that are held out over a few seconds each. On a sealed, it's just hits for 1/2 sec. but with a bandpass it holds out around 2 secs depending on box and speakers. So how would a ported do? Is it fairly smooth? I never know how something will sound once it's in my trunk.
DYohn: I've checked that website on sub boxes and also JL's, crutchfields and here.
- Kyle
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2004 at 3:45 PM / IP Logged  
i listen to everything from metal to rap, and if you build a vented box to spec of the sub and tune you box to around 38 hz.   you should have a good mellow "street Beat" box
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
f1monkey 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2004 at 7:00 PM / IP Logged  
2 10's or 1 12 in a ported box in my situation?
TDean 
Member - Posts: 32
Member spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2004 at 9:40 PM / IP Logged  
www.magnum-audio.com/products/hybrid    This link may or may not be of interest.  I have a single ten and it works good for my specific needs.  With a jl 10w3v2 in, it makes volume about .75 cu ft.  The only sub I have found that would work right with the box vented is a 10w6v2.  That is if you follow a spec sheet.
Maxst 
Silver - Posts: 866
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2004 at 10:46 PM / IP Logged  
did you move the box around? Simple movement can change the sound drastically.
I need quality equipment, feel free to donate.
f1monkey 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2004 at 1:09 AM / IP Logged  
yes I did
Fosgate3 
Copper - Posts: 328
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2004 at 7:13 AM / IP Logged  
Monkey, I love that song. It sounds awesome in a good vented enclosure. I would do one 12 if it were me but I'm eccentric like that and will probably elicit posts on here saying that two 10s are better. Personally, though, like I said, I'd go with one 12. Solobaric too, if you can get it. In fact if you put a Solobaric 12L7 in a vented box 2.96 cubic feet with a vent 2 1/2 inches wide by 13 1/4 inches long by 16 1/2 inches deep, it would sound phenomonal with about 600 to 900 watts on it. Just some FYI.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic