the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

need help 3 cap install

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2004 at 1:45 PM / IP Logged  

Caps do not have magic amplifier power dust on the inside of them, they must be charged just like a battery does. Most people believe that if your lights are blinking that you need a cap because you are drawing too much current, when in fact it is an indication that you do not have enough current to give. Imagine if you will that you have a garden hose (the alternator) and it is filling a barrell (your battery), one hose comes out of the barrell and goes to the garden (your amp), now your garden needs more water to grow, you put in a fire hose from the barrell (the battery). How long before the barrell is dry? It is not being filled to keep up with the demand.

A cap needs to be charged just like a battery does, yes it reacts quicker than a battery can but it is still slower than an alternator. All you are doing by adding caps to your system is creating a bigger current drain on the battery up front (now it needs to try and charge these caps) and if it cannot a bigger draw on the alternator to charge the battery and the caps. Nevermind that you also have a vehicle to operate and a high ouput stereo as well. The proper course for 99% of current draw situations is a bigger alternator to supply the needed current to the vehicle and the system.

What the balance of the charging system is....what kind, size battery (batteries) do you have, what size alternator, what kind of vehicle is this in, what guage wiring is ran and do you know the resistance on the ground return? There are a lot of factors to a proper charging system, just throwing caps at it does not solve the problem.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
Julian59 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2004 at 2:31 PM / IP Logged  

forbidden 

Correct. absolutey Correct.  A good installer always goes to the source of the problem(no bandaids). Always up-grade your charging system even if it doesn't need it. You can't go wrong with more power. Stiffining Caps sould be the last thing, we as installation technicians should think about.  Oh sorry about the OG. question Stiffining Caps should be connected in parallel

Julian59 

Be Smart Never Assume
Improvise Adapt and Over Come
=============================
Installer/Technician 20 years
shayp shifta 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2004 at 5:05 PM / IP Logged  
i have a red top optima stock alternator in a 300 zx with 4 gauge going to one amp and no i dont know the resistance
1990 Nissan 300zx
Pioneer 8400 HU
SPL 1600W Amp
2 12" Kicker L7's
4 Alpine MIds + 2 Tweeters
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2004 at 5:10 PM / IP Logged  
What have you done to the factory ground wires?
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
mobiletoys2002 
Gold - Posts: 1,050
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2004 at 5:40 PM / IP Logged  
hey just drop a high output alternator in there,change the factory ground wires and the alternator wires and call it a day.then u will have so much current available the caps wont be needed or u can add them to for the hell of it!
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic