icon

Capacitors....worth it?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Msmith02 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2004 at 2:12 PM / IP Logged  
as much as I would love to get a better sub....sadly this was the ONLY one that would fit in my box that I had. It is a really weird design and really shallow mounting depth, and we actually had to throw a spacer in there just to get the sub to fit. So if I could have I would have gotten a better model, but rumor has it that JLs rate their products VERY conservatively and can handle a lot more power than what they say. Hell my buddy has 2 12w0s in a sealed box in his eclipse and he is running about 300w RMS to em and they bump, so I figure mine should do okay
Julian59 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2004 at 9:04 PM / IP Logged  

Sorry I disagree guys, It's sound like your useing a Stiffining Capactors as a band aid. The first thing any good installer should always do is beef up the complete chargeing system, get the biggest Alternator in AMPs you car afford. Run bigger gage wire, better grounds. Your System will love it and sound great. (run cooler, cooler amp= better sound, ) If you still need a Stiffining Cap or two or three then put them in. but not until you do the basics.

Hope this help,

Julian59

RufNUSD 
Copper - Posts: 184
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2004 at 11:53 PM / IP Logged  
Uh and dont forget that every single component (read: cap. amp. cable. is a load on your system. Get a calculator and Ohms law. See you... Mel
Someone pass me that bottle.
RufNUSD 
Copper - Posts: 184
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2004 at 11:54 PM / IP Logged  
Uh and dont forget that every single component (read: cap. amp. cable. is a load on your system. Get a calculator and Ohms law. See you... Mel
Someone pass me that bottle.
acme 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2004 at 7:22 AM / IP Logged  
and then?
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2004 at 8:34 AM / IP Logged  
Whoever said "band aid' is right on in my book.  I have always believed stiffening caps are a waste of money. They do more to make a user believe they work that do they really help in increasing net voltage to an amplifier.   Indeed, I've done tests where the added load of the cap on a car's system actually hurts more than it helps.  If your car's electrical system cannot handle the load of your system, install a bigger alternator and upgrade your wiring.  That is the only way to really improve the voltage stability of the car.
fuseblower 
Silver - Posts: 403
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2004 at 10:55 AM / IP Logged  

I agree with DYohn, a cap is not a good idea.  You should be good with your current set-up but if you want to do an upgrade you will want to look into getting an alternator upgrade.  If your alternator can not keep up with your system a cap will not help, it will actually hurt your system.  A cap is for quick notes not continuos loud playing.  If you play your music loud for long periods you will want to upgrade your alternator.  If you add a cap you risk the possibility of your system running out of juice when playing your music loud over periods of time.

DYohn correct me if I am wrong, but I have had the experience of playing my music loud with my car running and only to have my system to shut down because my cap ran out of juice.  I am running about 1,100 watts RMS and a 3 farad cap.  This problem never occured before installing the CAP.  Duplicate problem occured in a different system running over 1,500 watts using a CAP.  The removal of the cap fixed the situation of the system shutting down but created the problem of heavy dimming lights.     

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2004 at 1:34 PM / IP Logged  

Yes, a large capacitor like that can actually shut down your car - or blow out your alternator or voltage regulator.  What happens is after a large transient where it discharges, it will immedialtely try to charge back up to its normal voltage and will draw as much current as teh system will allow.  This can add such a large load on your car's electrical system that the cap will overload the car's electrical system by itself.  With multiple quick "hits," the continuous cycling from the cap recharging at max current will also add extreme loads and stress on your alternator and can lead to premature alternator failure.  I have also seen amps shut down on low input voltage each time a large cap tries to recharge.  Like I said, more harm than good.

fuseblower 
Silver - Posts: 403
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2004 at 8:12 AM / IP Logged  

Dyohn, I know that caps were for instant peak music over short periods of time but never took the time to analyze the entire situation.  Now that you have put it in perspective I think I will have to get rid of the cap and replace it with a DVD player and upgrade my alternator.

Maxst 
Silver - Posts: 866
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2004 at 9:14 AM / IP Logged  

I dont think you need any upgrading. 300rms wouldnt do much at the max to the electrical system. If it somehow does, firstly up the wires going to and fro the alt with way bigger wires. That'll help the flow. If that somehow doesnt do it. Look around on ebay and get a high output alt. They are relitivily cheap there.

I need quality equipment, feel free to donate.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic