icon

$1000.00 to spend on stereo system

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2004 at 2:00 PM / IP Logged  

First I would buy an Eclipse or Alpine head-unit. Considering you only have 1000 to spend you could still get a good HU from either of these brands. I would reccomend Alpine's CDA-9823. It has two sets of preamp outputs and one of them is a sub ouput with a control. I dont know of any Eclipse models off hand but they make really good products also. Next I would either buy a sub or some good coaxials. If you like rap and rock and like it loud go with a good sub first like JL's 12" w3v2. A single one of these will run you about $200. You should also look at Eclipses 87121.4 12" subwoofer. Power either one of these with something like JL's 250/1 or Rockfords Punch 301S. This would give either of these subs the 300 watts in 4 ohms they like. For some good coaxials I would reccomend Bostons FX or NX or their FS component speakers. Also look at JL's TR series and if you wanted really cheap ones look at kenwoods KFC series coaxials. Stay away from Kicker ,Pioneer ,Audiobahn ,and Sony. Their quality isnt that great. Any of these companys usually has products that look better then they sound and have alot of unneccesary features(bells and whistles). After this if you wanted more bass you could buy something like Eclipses alumin subs or JL's W7s and bigger amps from JL or Rockford.

jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2004 at 2:41 PM / IP Logged  
considering everyone is going to new way,   i am going to recomend the budget way i recomend....I work hand in hand with a local pawn shop    installers listen up its a valuble tool, most pawn shops dont have an installer, and thier sales sometimes hurt because they dont have one,     be thier one and only installer for a considerable price break on used equip,    then i would say get a good head unit   yes they come around and i can pick them up for $50-$100   then get new internals    normally dont come in the pawn shop, then your bass,    W0's come in all the time!!! and i can run them for myself for about $25 a piece.   the sell for about $100 a pair at the shop, then the box buil your own $30 normally, amps ebay.    there you go a budget system for under about $600
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
Julian59 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2004 at 3:36 PM / IP Logged  

I'm sorry let me clarify, make belive we're buyers and we only have $1000.00 to spend on a Music system. What do we buy first and so on and so forth. please explain why we choose what we choose. This is a learning question ?    Most of your answers are mostly from the sales point of view so far.

thx

Julian

customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2004 at 5:51 PM / IP Logged  
OK first you want your head unit because it plays CDs or Tapes alot better then the OEM junk included with your car or truck. Most aftermarket HUs have preamp outputs so you can expand your system by adding amps to power your speakers or subs in the future. Next I would upgrade to either new speakers to replace your factory ones. I would do this or buy a sub and amp next. If your music dosnt really need alot of bass or you just dont like alot of bass then uprade your speakers. If you dont care how your factory speakers sound at the moment and you're doing for some good bass upgrade to a good amp and sub. You could then turn down the bass on your factory speakers and only use them as midranges so they would play louder without distorting because your sub would be covering the low-end for you. I upgraded to a sub im my suburban first because I wanted bass really really bad. Then my head-unit's cd player went out on me so I bought a good Alpine one. I havnt upgraded the door speakers yet but i plan to soon.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2004 at 7:32 PM / IP Logged  

You have a budget, that is good but you don't have a game plan and that is what you need. Someone pointed out that one of the guru's may suggest something. I don't profess to be one of these people, but I will always give solid info.

(1) determine what level of system you want  - where do you want to go with your system?

(2) Sacrifice is better than compromise - it cost twice as much to buy the wrong things

(3) the cd player is the single most important purchase -  it will make or break the sound quality and capabilities of your system - see point 1 and point 2.

(4) the front speakers are the next most important purchase - buy what sounds best to you.

(5) vehicle type  - can't get speakers until we know a vehicle

(6) type of music listened to  - what works with what

(7) not all subs are created equal and everyone will have there favorite - get ready for my sub is the best because, everyone will post.

(8) amplifiers are not called wattlifiers - throw spec's out the window

(9) do research into the suggestions

(10) warranty is extremely important, support the local specialty retailer, they are the ones that need and appreciate your business, if you need help, chances are that they are the ones that will bail you out (if we can't help you). Specialty lines are available at specialty retailers, they are not built to be cheap, they are built to sound good and have superior capabilities.

This said, for now I will only offer one choice for you until you respond to the above. I'm sure most senior members will agree. For the most important purchase I will recommend a Eclipse 5volt cd player, if you need MP3 (hope not) then wait until the new ones are out very soon, if not, but the Eclipse CD5423, this is where your system starts. Why, it is expandable for full expansion to multiple amplifiers, initially front - rear  - sub. It has 5volt non clipping low impedance preouts. The higher the voltage the easier it is for an amp to make power. Non clipping means that in a fully amplified system, if the gains are set proper on the amps, the volume level will play to max with no distortion - very few cd players are capable of this. Low impedance means improved sound quality, the tradeoff here is it takes more $ to keep noise from entering the signal, this is why most cd players have a higher impedance - they don't want to spend the $. Theft deterrence - replace free of charge in the first year if stolen, must be bought from and installed buy an authorized dealer. 3 year warranty when installed by authorized dealer - no $ to pay for extended warranty. Eclipse is not sold on the net, if you do find it, and you will, be well aware that there is NO WARRANTY from Eclipse, NO THEFT REPLACEMENT, and no support. Thus point 10, buy from a specialty retailer. Hope this starts you on the right path.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic