icon

1936 chevy pickup, pro's help me out!

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2004 at 4:00 PM / IP Logged  
alright I have been contracted for quite an elobrate intall...It is in a 1936 chevy pickup, how drastic we are going to go im not sure yet. The first hurdle is that it has a 6 volt electrical system!!!   i'm not sure if i will find a head unit to opperate on that, and not sure if i really want to add a second battery to wire with the first to try to achive 12 volts because the charging system uses a generator not an alternator. i have to fiberglass something to hide the HU and speakers, as there arnt spots for either but i cant modify the interior because everything is orignal and in great shape so it cant be modified. the location of the speakers and what they will be is to be decided,   but i need to figure out how to power a head unit! 6volt's? will it do    
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2004 at 4:10 PM / IP Logged  

Is this truck being restored?  Unless there is some desire to keep it stock (and if you are glassing an enclosure into the dash, my guess is it is not intended to be stock) I suggest it should be converted to a 12V system.  This is not a small job, and will require wholesale replacement of the wiring system.  But both for adding a stereo and for future replacemnts of things like headlights, going to 12 volts is the best thing to do if at all possible.

If, however, there is a desire to keep the rest of the truck at 6 volts, use an antique car voltage booster: http://www.antiqueautomobileradio.com/power.htm  You'll have to use a relatively low power head unit to stay within the current ratings.

Julian59 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2004 at 8:06 PM / IP Logged  

A lot of charging system back then were 6 volt pos ground, Not NEG. ground. Also the generator only put out a MAX of 24 amps. Unless it has been change. It's not really to hard to change over to 12 Volts NEG. ground. First find a 12 volt chevy generator. A red tag generator would work great (1958-1962 Chevrolet) also would fit the OG. 216 ci engine, change the voltage regalator and ad a 12 volt coil, you might have to ad a ballast resister to the coil. Leave the starter and points in the Distibutor as is. Change all the light bulbs, run a  resisters to the gas gauge. Ad a voltage drop to the radio, or change it out for a hidden modern small system.  That's it. I hope this helps.

Julian59

jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2004 at 4:49 PM / IP Logged  
The whole truck is staying as orignal as possible so nothing can be changed including the 6 volt system,    i plan so far to find a low power HU and use a .5 farad cap to keep a charge to it and not drain current as there isnt much, and nothing will be altered on the car,   the straps for the fiberglass HU and Cap box be velcro, all the way around it and 2 metal supports so it wont move. and the speakers will be under the seat or behind it,   fiberglassed as thin as possible and then matching carpet will be layed over the fiberglass enclosure and the speakers
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic