icon

2004 GMC Yukon XL

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
daniel2002p 
Silver - Posts: 524
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2004 at 4:07 PM / IP Logged  
I have a question about this truck, I have put a viper790xv in it three months ago, and friday a GMC dealership called with the car in they repair bay.  I immediately went overthere to see what was wrong with the car, and it turns out that the PCM was fried.  The dealership claims is what caused the PCM to fail was the fact that I tapped into the factory wires and soldered them, they are saying that the heat that was put on the wires under the dash destroyed the PCM which is under the hood.  I have verified and all the connectins are good and no mistakes with the install. Now my shop has a $1500.00 claim on our backs for soldering sires in the car.  What do you guys think about that???????
2005 Toyota Corolla S
    1.8L VVT-i I-4
Always double check your wires with a DMM!!!
Do Not Use A Test Light!!!
MECP Certified Installer!
Best Buy 665 - IN IT TO WIN IT! TEAM MOBLE!
prdjr165 
Copper - Posts: 293
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2004 at 5:16 PM / IP Logged  
That's scary!I just installed a r/s on a 2004 yukon sunday,I also soldered all the connections.I can't see how this would cause any damage to the pcm under the hood,If that's the case why didn't damage occur right away?Everyone always points to the remote starters first when something goe's wrong.
rudbwoy69camaro 
Silver - Posts: 350
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2004 at 6:22 PM / IP Logged  
bull$heit.  Some FNG at the dealer probably did something wrong.
sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2004 at 6:43 PM / IP Logged  
The heat required to fry a PCM mounted atleast 4 feet away passing through the wiring would melt all the wireing insulation long before any damage occured to the PCM. The only thing to be wary of is the type of soldering gun used. If the type that uses a metal loop instead of a heated element was used, then this could cause a electrical failure to occur if the loop broke and sent 110 volts A/C into the wiring. There is no way they can prove you are at fault, but most dealers don't care and will just bill the customer for the repair. they need to show reasonable cause as to how the PCM was damaged. Was the vehicle's battery boosted recently? Fried electrical components are often caused by an OOPS! when hooking up a battery or boosting it. Good Luck.
sparky
daniel2002p 
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2004 at 7:58 PM / IP Logged  

sparkie wrote:
The heat required to fry a PCM mounted atleast 4 feet away passing through the wiring would melt all the wireing insulation long before any damage occured to the PCM. The only thing to be wary of is the type of soldering gun used. If the type that uses a metal loop instead of a heated element was used, then this could cause a electrical failure to occur if the loop broke and sent 110 volts A/C into the wiring. There is no way they can prove you are at fault, but most dealers don't care and will just bill the customer for the repair. they need to show reasonable cause as to how the PCM was damaged. Was the vehicle's battery boosted recently? Fried electrical components are often caused by an OOPS! when hooking up a battery or boosting it. Good Luck.

I have used a regular torch, not a soldering gun, I am just going to have to get their @$$ because as said by sparkie it is just way too impossible.  Somebody is getting their F******G @$$ kicked tomorrow.  Thanks for the replies.

2005 Toyota Corolla S
    1.8L VVT-i I-4
DanDan 
Copper - Posts: 125
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2004 at 8:23 PM / IP Logged  
If it fried the PCM it would have done it when you installed it. Not in 3 months. PCM's are pretty rugged. What exactly is wrong with the PCM? Or was it the BCM that went bad? Why was the truck in the shop in the first place? I have been soldering my wires for over 25 years and never had a failure due to that. They need someone to pay the bill, since warranty does not pay much. Have them prove it with hard facts or tell them to sue you and get your liability insurance involved to help you. What exactly did they say you did wrong? Keep and open mind and try to find out what went bad and why. Keep your cool and be professional.
Dandan
daniel2002p 
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2004 at 8:31 PM / IP Logged  
what went wrong is that the check engine light came on and the PCM prevented the car form starting and they are arguing that the soldering caused it.  I have filed a claim with out insurance company and they are investigating.  they are saying that my torch about 5 feet away melted some of the components of the PCM.  That is bull, as stated earlier in this post it would melt the sires first.  If they still argue it is our fault, what legal rights if any do I have???
2005 Toyota Corolla S
    1.8L VVT-i I-4
tom cat 
Member - Posts: 30
Member spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2004 at 9:25 PM / IP Logged  
I have had the dealer say a rs caused the key switch went bad and removed the rs wires and tell the customer that they could not replace it with the rs so the customer wanted us to redo the rs I caled the dealer and the tech could not tell me how the rs caused the switch to go bad that we taped into the harness and this was the cause and I told him that there are 10000 of cars and trucks that had rs in them the same way and how many switches were replaced he did not know what to say and got a hot head.2004 GMC Yukon XL -- posted image. They did the work at no charge but would no reconect the rs.
tom cat
kenmci 
Copper - Posts: 161
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2004 at 12:28 AM / IP Logged  
I don't know how most shops work, but at least a best buy we have to do a check in/out on every vehicle.  IF the dealership has no paperwork stating that the problem existed prior to the vehicle coming in then they are responsible for all problems that you say happen.  In other words you could have had a problem with the locks prior to getting it worked on, but unless they wrote it out then they are liable if you complain.  Also unless you signed any paperwork in the beginning then they definately are liable because they didn't have permission by you to work on the car in the first place. just my thoughts
Dreadlock 
Copper - Posts: 55
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2004 at 12:57 PM / IP Logged  
hhmmmmmm, i call bullsh*t!
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic