icon

Newbie need help: Install FM modulator

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
thegoldenhand 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2004 at 5:21 PM / IP Logged  

Hello Peeps!  I just need help in installing an FM modulator into my stock CD stereo.  My car is a Honda Accord 2002 SE with the single cd/casette stereo.  I have already mounted my CD changer at the back and routed the big fat cable to the front under the dash. 

My FM modulator has 3 wires (ground, 12v acc and 12v continious).  I guess I can pretty much hook up the ground wire to anywhere in the frame.  I just need help in tapping for the 2 12v wires.  I am planning to just T-tap on the radio connector (wire harness) of my stock unit.  The only problem is I do not know which wires to T-tap on (which color of wire etc etc).  I'd really appreciate it if someone can tell me which wire I should T-tap into.  Also I need to know if for this install I still need to take off the negative battery terminal.  Please help me.... I'd really appreciate the help you can give.

Thanks a lot! 

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2004 at 6:58 PM / IP Logged  

Do not use t-taps if you can help it, they are one of the most unreliable connections known to installers but yes they can sometimes work once in a blue moon. This should be the wiring colors, make sure to check with a meter first.

yellow / red - ignition

white / yellow - constant power

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2004 at 8:36 PM / IP Logged  
use crimp on bullets. They are reliable and secure. Something to avoid using behind ur dash is any kind of tape. In the summer it will get hot under their and just fall right off and could cause a short.
Teamrf 
Gold - Posts: 1,031
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2004 at 9:55 PM / IP Logged  
Don't crimp anything...use solder and tape. That is good stuff..some shops don't even order crimp caps, t-taps, or stuff like that. You may want to add a toggle switch on that fm modulator because sometimes fm mod. interfer with your regular fm station.
~The Rookie~
Rookie of the year that is...
Don't let the smoke out of your equiptment..it doesn't go back in.
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 03, 2004 at 10:27 AM / IP Logged  
Yes, you can just ground to the chassis.  T-taps should work- but always keep in mind if you do this- they don't just strip the insulation, they cut some of the wire strands as well.  I'd recommend as Teamrf did to solder and tape, it's usually the cleanest look, but also the most dependable.  Use the wire colors Rob posted as a guide, and verify them with a multimeter.  If you plan on disconnecting the battery, be sure you have the security code for the radio.  I think most newer cars have it somewhere in the owner's manual, but check first.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
thegoldenhand 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 05, 2004 at 12:15 AM / IP Logged  
Ok I got the diagram for the wiring of the radio harness from installdr.com.  From that doc, I was able to identify the ground, 12v memory and 12v acc.  I can obviously tap into the 12v power sources, but was wondring if I could also directly tap into the ground wire.  If I do this, will it not emit some static with my stock cd?  Is it always best to wire the ground somewhere else (like the chassis)?  Thanks for the help.  I little more info and I guess I'm ready to make my first install.  BTW, I was also able to get a manual on how to take off all those plastics under the dash from another honda parts site.  WIll work on my cd changer this weekend. 
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 05, 2004 at 12:45 PM / IP Logged  
Yes you can also tap into the ground wire should yuo want to, the chance of any noise being generated and reproduced as something audible is not very good. Personally I would wire the ground somewhere else.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
thegoldenhand 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2004 at 4:02 PM / IP Logged  
Ok I wasnt able to install it this weekend.  I will try again this coming weekend.  One last question though.  Do I still need to remove the negative battery terminal before going about with this?  Or am I ok to go even without removing them?  What are the pros and cons of doing that?  Thanks again!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic