icon

Commando EZ-2500 in a '91 Tercel

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Andyman692 
Member - Posts: 35
Member spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2004 at 8:14 PM / IP Logged  
ive bought an alarm from them before and put it in a 76 ScoutII, worked good too, so now i upgraded to a tercel and i got the ezstart cause i need the power door locks and trunk pop. I was just wondering since my diplay doesn't have a tach, does that need to be connected? there are a hella lot of wires to the brain too. heres the manual link ez2500 install info
do i need to do all the input and output? where are the dangerous parts that i need to be careful of my connections? on my first try with a spal like 2 years ago it cought on fire... dont want to have a repeat! So is no tach wire, and no brake wire. Do i have an illumnation switch? what does the green wire do and where do i connect? this seems like a really complicated head unit, and ill take my time and so it right, but i just dont want another fire!
thank you guys so much, this board is sooo sweet! and im glad that other people have heard of commando too!
soultinter 
Copper - Posts: 170
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2004 at 8:34 PM / IP Logged  
to start with, i have a feeling that that your scout is not fuel injected(just a guess) so, unless it will always start without touching the gas, even in the coldest weather, the remote starter won't work. Also good luck finding wiring info. I think that designtech used to sell a kit for carbureted vehicles to use w a remote starter. you must hook up the 6 pin heavy gauge connector, brake wire, antenna and ground at the very minimum just to get a start function, i don't have any idea what type of lock system you have, is it even power? if not you must install actuators and i have a feeling that is out of your league.It appears that this system has a voltage sensing function so that you may be able to avoid hooking up a tach wire.
soultinter 
Copper - Posts: 170
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2004 at 8:37 PM / IP Logged  
sorry, i just realized that it was the tercel you were installing into. well everything else i said is still correct, just ignore the jabs about the scout. locks are probably negative trigger and can be connected directly .
jrilla 
Gold - Posts: 1,498
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2004 at 9:20 PM / IP Logged  
Minimum wire connections:
Red: 12v+ (3)
Purple: Starter
Yellow: Ign1
Pink: Ign2 (if applicable)
Brown: Acc
White: Park lights (not a must but you just gotta)
WHITE/ Violet: Brake (definately a must)
BLACK/ White: (must be grounded)
Black: Ground
WHITE/ Black: Highly recommended
The rest is purdy much optional.
J Rilla
Owner/Installer
Andyman692 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2004 at 9:21 PM / IP Logged  
yeah i know the scout was a peice! and i didn't put in a remote start for it either.
I put power door locks in the scout, and it worked great. so i took 'em out and put them into the tercel, 2 actuators but they are only 2 wire, i dont really care about adding button control. i have them installed already, and im waiting for the alarm to come on friday.
my tercel also has passive starter kill through the defrost button, so how am i gonig to find out which wire to connect, cause the defrost button has to be on for the car to start...any ideas?
can a remote start work without a tach wire?
also what is "grounded output when armed" and "ignition 3 output", so i really need to connect these?
ok i did some more reading..
aww shoot, it says i have to hook up 2 relays for my 2 wire actuators?? is that nessicary? the last time i tried to hook up a relay, it didn't work at all! In the scout i just hooked up my door locks striaght to the two wires comming out of the brain. Is that wrong??
for programming mode, do i have to hook it up to the horn for chirp?? or will the brain chirp?
thanks so much again guys!
Andyman692 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2004 at 9:28 PM / IP Logged  
what about the tach? how long will the thing make my starter crank if its not hooked to the tach? wait, i talked to GNU today and they said that the brain would auto sense the alternator current, right?
brown wire, what does that do though? anything i should be hooking that up too? can't i just leave my heater/ac on before i leave the car?
jrilla 
Gold - Posts: 1,498
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2004 at 9:58 PM / IP Logged  
For that unit the starter output is timed whether it is in tach or voltage mode.
You need relays for the door locks to work.
(-) when armed: pretty self explanitory, the wire piuts out a ground output when the car is locked. Used for a starter kill typically
For programming, you likely need to hook up the horn if you need audible confirmation: You could use a test light though I suppose. Actually the LED will confirm which option you have selected, so as long as you can enter programming blind, you should be able to use the LED to program.
Ignition 3 output is a (-) ignition output.
As far as hooking up the brown wire: You must leave your temp settings in the correct place of course, but if you dont power the accessory wire, they wont turn on.
Dont take this too poorly, but since you started your car on fire last time, I would say every wire you touch is a wire you should be careful with.
Voltage mode attempts to sense the voltage on the 12v+ wires. It looks for an increase after the Alternator kicks on. It may be reliable, and may not be. Voltage workes better for the FM-760, which is a 2 way unit made by the same manufacturer as the ez-2500. The 560 is another with the same looking brain, and tachless was not very good, since it would think the car had started when it had not and hence never attempted to restart but left the ignition and accessoryies on for the set runtime. So tach mode was better for the `560, so my guess is the tach mode will be better for the 2500.
J Rilla
Owner/Installer
Andyman692 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2004 at 10:57 PM / IP Logged  
so if i try to hook up the 2 wire powerlocks its not gonig to work...dang, relays are a pain in the ass..
well with the initial fire, i think one of the wires for the power door locks was exposed and when i armed the system, the brain caught fire a little bit..but the scout was ok : )
brianh 
Silver - Posts: 516
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2004 at 11:03 PM / IP Logged  
I sell and use this remote starter. The tachless mode works just as well as the FM-760 did. I really like this unit. As long as it is installed properly it should work great. Good luck with it.
Brian
owner/installer
Sight & Sound Car Stereo
"all electronic equipment runs off of smoke, once you let it out, it stops working"
Andyman692 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2004 at 12:14 AM / IP Logged  
The amount of professionalism, curtesy and knowledge just blows my mind guys. I installed the alarm with the remote start and power trunk and everything, and i couldn't have done it with out you guys! Thank you sooooo very much! I just bought a 99 maxima...and im thinking about putting another commando in it...but im really gonig to need some help considering its double pulse lock and 5spd : )~
Any good ideas on which is the best 2 way alarm without remote start??

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic