icon

questions about HU, amps, subs

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
prncrakim 
Member - Posts: 35
Member spacespace
Posted: February 06, 2004 at 7:43 AM / IP Logged  
thank you very much customsuburb i really appreciate your time and effort.  i think i am going to upgrade the amp...while im in this process should i upgrade my factory speakers and utilize the old amp in some way?
prncrakim 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 06, 2004 at 9:56 AM / IP Logged  
just want to make sure i'm making the right decision when i buy the amp.  what is the difference between a 2-channel amp and a mono amp.  so the rockford fosgate would make about 175w per amp if installed correctly?   the MTX thunder  342 (a two channel amp) makes
  • 85 watts RMS x 2 at 4 ohms
  • 170 watts RMS x 2 at 2 ohms
  • 340 watts RMS x 1 bridged output at 4 ohms    so is this better or worse than the one you recommend? (its $50 more expensive)
  • thanks again for helping me out i'm learning a lot, just want to make sure i make the right choice.

customsuburb 
    Gold - Posts: 1,813
    Gold spacespace
    Posted: February 06, 2004 at 8:01 PM / IP Logged  

No I would just stick with the Rockford because I think its a better amp and since you are in the States you can get a great deal on it from Crutchfield. Most 2 channel amps can only handle 4 ohms when bridged and most of the time 2 ohms in 2 channel mode(except boston acoustics ,their amps can handle a 2 ohm load when bridged). Since your subs are not dual voice coil you would need a mono sub amp that is can handle a 2 ohm load ,unless you want to wire each sub to the amps 2 channels which wouldnt give you nearly as much power as a mono amp would in 2 ohms because there is no way to get a 2 ohm load from just one sub in 2 channel mode. you would be getting a 4 ohm load from each channel (only 85 watts from the mtx amp to each sub) if you wired it in stereo. And yes the Rockford amp would give each sub 175 watts to each sub in 2 ohms (which is the load the wiring diagram that i posted earlier would give the amp).

customsuburb 
    Gold spacespace
    Posted: February 06, 2004 at 8:22 PM / IP Logged  

Ok i forgot to answer one of your questions. You could use your MTX amp in 2 channel mode to power a component set or some coaxials up front ,and 6 X 9s in back. Some really good components that arnt that expensive are Boston's FS50 component set. I reccomend these because the 6.5" set from them is too deep for your door. Since the opening in your door is a 6.5" you will need some speaker adaptor plates (if they are available or you can make some out of mdf). Also for the back speakers I would buy some small 5.25" speakers instead of 6 X 9s (which is how big the factory opening is). Now I know people like Crutchfield sell speakers adaptor plates for this opening. The reason I reccomend small speakers in back is because they are an easier load for your cd player's amp then big 6 X 9s would be. Slap some bass blockers on the back speakers and your cd player's amp will be much happier. Also if you dont want component sets up front then you can use some small 5.25" speakers like Boston's NX 57 coaxs that are about the same quality as the component set from Boston also. These coaxials would like your MTX amp also. Hope this helps.questions about HU, amps, subs - Page 2 -- posted image.

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-q3ALnBiyTbz/ProdView.asp?s=0&c=11&g=103200&I=142SA69&o=m&a=0&cc=01&avf=N

http://www.bostonacoustics.com/ca_product.asp?Productid=68&CategoryID=14

http://www.bostonacoustics.com/ca_product.asp?Productid=86&CategoryID=14

http://www.bostonacoustics.com/ca_product.asp?Productid=233&CategoryID=14

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-q3ALnBiyTbz/ProdView.asp?s=0&c=11&g=761&I=127BB300A2&o=m&a=0&cc=01&avf=N

or http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-q3ALnBiyTbz/ProdView.asp?s=0&c=11&g=761&I=127BB150A2&o=m&a=0&cc=01&avf=N

prncrakim 
    Member spacespace
    Posted: February 09, 2004 at 9:32 AM / IP Logged  

when i called crutchfield, the guy recommended the alpine mrp-350 instead of the RF. i decided to go with the alpine (the were the same price).  how do you feel about this amp?

customsuburb 
    Gold spacespace
    Posted: February 09, 2004 at 5:45 PM / IP Logged  
    I think the Rockford is better but the Alpine you have is fine. Its not like the Alpine is a bad amp I just think that the Rockford has better technology and you get some descent savings on it so that is why i reccomended it. The alpine is a good amp that I also considered buying for myself at one time but found something else on sale.
    Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
    This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic