icon

Alpine 9815 cutting out

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
conrak 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: February 05, 2004 at 2:39 AM / IP Logged  

I have an Alpine 9815 in a 02 Silverado that cuts out / clips at higher volume levels.  The speakers are MB Quart in the front and in the rear doors.  The problem goes away when I adjust the fader to the rear.  I also have a JL Audio mono sub amp w/a 1 farad cap and a 10' w3 under the rear seat.  I am pulling to much from the headunit with the MB's?  Should I adjust the ground?  The only other wierdness I have heard is sometimes when I turn my truck on after about 10-15 seconds the sub makes a loud low tone for about 3-5 seconds and then is fine.  Could my cap be bad too?  Sorry about the length of this post I probably should have made it two.

TIA

Conrak 

gumby_55 
Member - Posts: 38
Member spacespace
Posted: February 05, 2004 at 6:30 AM / IP Logged  

Your'e probably not going to like my answer unless you have a warranty. I have an Alpine CDA-7894 that did the exact same thing and it had to be sent to a service center for repair. I don't know what was wrong but it required new parts. It took them a couple weeks to fix it and it now works perfectly. But I had an extended warranty of course. Good luck!

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 05, 2004 at 12:53 PM / IP Logged  

^ this above may be true but for most people with a sub in their system, they usually end up drastically underpowering the front / rear speakers by relying on the tiny little built in amp in the cd player. Don't be fooled by it's wattage claims, it makes that kind of power if it gets struck by Lightning. If your speakers are distorting and cutting out, they are doing it alot sooner than you think, they are much smaller speakers than your sub, your sub plays frequencies with much more "force" that mask the distortion being reproduced by the smaller speakers, end result will be blown speakers. Chances are you do have a problem with the head, I just wanted to draw your attention to something that should be addressed in your system. If I was in your shoes, I might be in the market for a small 4 channel amp, nothing huge but enough to take the strain off of the cd player and provide a hp crossover on your front / rear speakers.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 05, 2004 at 1:34 PM / IP Logged  

If you like JL products their e4300 amp outputs 45 watts X 4 in 4 ohm and its not too expensive either. http://www.jlaudio.com/amps/e4300.html

Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 05, 2004 at 7:53 PM / IP Logged  
Try turning off your sub, and crank the HU to where it usually cuts out.   I bet your speakers will be so incredibly distorted it will sound like ass.    What you should do it keep the sub off during this test also, , and turn up the HU until it starts sounding bad, , and then never go higher than that when your listening to your system.   If its not to loud, then get an amp.
conrak 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: February 06, 2004 at 12:49 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the info. I will give them a try, I just hope that I don't have to send it in.

Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 06, 2004 at 7:01 PM / IP Logged  
if it has to be sent it,,,this is the fastest turn around time of the year,  Should get it back in 2-3 weeks

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic