icon

Is This a Dumb Idea?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Lukester 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: February 05, 2004 at 8:03 AM / IP Logged  

I am installing an entirely new system this weekend in my 1993 Volvo sedan. Currently it has 2 3.5 dash speakers, 2 front 5.25 door speakers and 2 rear 6x9 deck speakers, all are original OEM over 11 years old. There is an empty hole with OEM speaker covers in the rear doors. Volvo installs the same rear doors in their sedans as they do their wagons. The sedan rear door speakers come empty whereas in the wagons, they come with speakers as the wagons do not have a rear deck.   I bought replacement 5.25 component speakers (Kicker) for the front doors and new 6x9 replacements (Kenwood) for the rear deck. My original plan was to remove the small dash speakers and replace them with the tweeters that came with the component set, replace the rear deck speakers, add my old 10" Boston sub in the trunk and drive everything with two 4 ch amps.

Now I am thinking of doing all the above but in addition put the old front door speakers into the open available rear doors. I have the ability to run them off  an open channel of one of the amps. I would use one amp to drive the front door components and subwoofer and the other amp to run the rear deck and rear door speakers.  Is this a dumb idea? Too much? Mess up my front stage concept? My thinking is "more speakers is better" right?

Would like to hear any and all thoughts.

Thanks,

Luke

sbrock 
Member - Posts: 42
Member spacespace
Posted: February 05, 2004 at 8:48 AM / IP Logged  
If you are going to the troble of replacing all theose factory speakers with aftermarket ones you should probly leave out all the factory ones for the best sound if it was mine I would porbly use the extra channel on the amp to bridge the sub if possible but maybe someone who knows more about sQ can help you its just I have always though more speaks isnt always better just maybe a little louder but chances are the factory speakers when receive the same power as the aftermarket ones will reach distortion faster and maybe even blow  
fuseblower 
Silver - Posts: 403
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 05, 2004 at 9:36 AM / IP Logged  

If you are going to add speakers to your rear door replace them with new ones.  If I am reading right you will have one 4 ch amp powering the Mids/highs and the other powering your sub.  This should leave you with two channels open to power your door speakers. 

The door speakers will add to your over all sound very little for the front seat riders but will make a huge difference to the rear riders.  The speakers will also affect your imaging when it comes to Mid bass and vocals.

customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 05, 2004 at 12:39 PM / IP Logged  

Dont add those factory speakers to the rear doors. The rear seat passengers will  have plenty of mid range and highs already coming from the 6 X 9s in back. I would buy a 4 channel amp for the front and rear speakers and just use a mono sub amp or another 2 channel amp bridged for the Boston sub. I guess you could have bought a set of coaxials or another component set for the rear door speakers instead of 6 X 9s. This would give your back seat passengers better imaging I think.

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 05, 2004 at 1:12 PM / IP Logged  
^ I agree with the above, all you are going to accomplish is pulling your soundstage even further back behind you, I would not add more rear speakers. And no more speakers does not mean it is better, in a lot of cases it destroys soundstage and imaging, plus creates a whole pile of cancellation (a loss of sound).
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
Lukester 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: February 05, 2004 at 1:18 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the great responses! You all convinced me. I am not going to put speakers in the rear doors. Too much of one thing can be a bad thing sometimes.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic