icon

1995 Dodge Neon system suggestions

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
neon_knights 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: February 05, 2004 at 6:36 PM / IP Logged  
Hi....I am modifying a 1995 Dodge neon and wanted to know if anyone has any suggestions on a good audio system for the neons? I know i am going to put a cd head unit and 2 12" subs,not sure which make yet.If anyone has any suggestions at all plmk!!
Thanks,
     Thomas
Teamrf 
Gold - Posts: 1,031
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 05, 2004 at 6:49 PM / IP Logged  
I suggest you go to your local shop and just listen to what you like best and try taht out. There is no "perfect" system for a car.
~The Rookie~
Rookie of the year that is...
Don't let the smoke out of your equiptment..it doesn't go back in.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 05, 2004 at 7:17 PM / IP Logged  

Your neon can do lots, do you have an ear for sound quality or annoy the neighbourhood? For speakers you can fit oversize 6.5" components up front with little effort and the same or 6x9" speakers in the rear. You cd player is the most important purchase, next the speakers. If you skimp out on either, be prepared for the worst. Buy speakers that you like the sound of that fit your budget.

If you fall victim to the eye candy of cd players, you will get what you pay for. Someone tell me what the %*?? a glow in dark, downloadable, detach, multicolor, slide out - over - down - inside out display has to do with sound quality. This is the one area that most on the site will agree on, a good cd player is drastically different than one that is a light show. Eclipse is usually highly recommended for obvious reasons. I would recommend the CD5423 for the starting point of your system.

A pair of 12's with the proper box and amp to match should easily give you some good solid and clean bottom end. If dollars are not an option, have a listen to MB Quart and Diamond component speakers. Be aware that if you head down the component path, an amp is usually needed to power them effectively.

Set your budget, then get a game plan together. If you want everything at once and the budget can afford it, ship me your car, if your game plan says to do it a step at a time because the budget says so, this is usually the best way to start. Anyone can sell or recommend something to you, especially over the net, be careful. If you comprise on the system it will cost you much much more in the long run to get what you should have in the first place. If you go with the game plan and do it a step at a time, you will end up with a much better sounding and enjoyable stereo system.

Post up some more comments relating to your game plan and someone will start you on the right path, as long as it starts with an Eclipse cd player. (I hope)

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
97neon 
Copper - Posts: 195
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 05, 2004 at 8:35 PM / IP Logged  
i had 2 alpine type r's in my neon, sound good and loud, try one 15, i have 1 15 in a 5cubic foot box, takes up the whole trunk, but, does fit, has to be built in the trunk
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 05, 2004 at 8:47 PM / IP Logged  
Definitely start with a good quality Eclipse or Alpine HU. Then look at JL audio ,MB Quart ,and Boston for your speakers. For subs look at Eclipse or JL audio.
neon_knights 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 05, 2004 at 9:01 PM / IP Logged  

Well as far as my game plan,I have around $1200 to $1500 I can put into it now.I have heard of the Eclipse head units,but they do not sell them anywhere around me.Here where i live all they sale is Alpine,Kenwood,Kicker,rockford Fosgate,Memphis,and Pioneer....I am looking to get a good head unit,two 12" subs in a ported or  enclosed box and a couple of sets of components in the door and back deck...I don't have a huge budget,so I am trying to get the best i can for a reasonable price.I live in arkansas and there aren't to many good shops around here...any suggestions will be greatly appreciated....Also thanks Forbidden,I will look into your suggestions....

Thanks,
     Thomas
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 05, 2004 at 9:19 PM / IP Logged  
Definately go with an alpine head unit then.  For your needs i would look into getting the CDA-9807, or 1 step up to the CDA-9811 for more radical adjustments.
the Finn 
Member - Posts: 37
Member spacespace
Posted: February 05, 2004 at 9:28 PM / IP Logged  

1200-1500 is a great range, but spend a lot of time looking at amplifiers. The head is very important, but amplifiers should be your next priority, even before speakers. Any good speaker will do an outstanding job if it is powered properly, so look there first.

JL Evolution are great sounding midrange speakers, and fit very nicely. Diamond M3 series sound great for the money, and the M6 rock for not a lot more.

JL subs are wonderful for the money, the W0 being one of the best woofers in the business pound for pound. A moderate sized vented enclosure and 300-500 watts of clean power will make these subs de-wrinkle your pants.

JL amps are great, but a little pricey. Depending on your timeframe, JL is introducing 2 new e-series amps, a 400 and 800 watt d-class that looked very good at the CES show. April delivery though, so a little while to wait for those.

Just some ideas, let me know if you have any questions!

~Cory
Car Concepts SLC
Alpine F#1Status Certified
neon_knights 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 05, 2004 at 10:47 PM / IP Logged  
[QUOTE=the Finn]

1200-1500 is a great range, but spend a lot of time looking at amplifiers. The head is very important, but amplifiers should be your next priority, even before speakers. Any good speaker will do an outstanding job if it is powered properly, so look there first.

JL Evolution are great sounding midrange speakers, and fit very nicely. Diamond M3 series sound great for the money, and the M6 rock for not a lot more.

JL subs are wonderful for the money, the W0 being one of the best woofers in the business pound for pound. A moderate sized vented enclosure and 300-500 watts of clean power will make these subs de-wrinkle your pants.

JL amps are great, but a little pricey. Depending on your timeframe, JL is introducing 2 new e-series amps, a 400 and 800 watt d-class that looked very good at the CES show. April delivery though, so a little while to wait for those.

Just some ideas, let me know if you have any questions..

I was wondering if it would be better for me to get a mono amp or a two channel amp? I was told at a local shop to get a two channel amp,whats the difference? plmk!

Thanks,
     Thomas
the Finn 
Member - Posts: 37
Member spacespace
Posted: February 05, 2004 at 11:40 PM / IP Logged  

it will really depend on the type of music you listen to. A 2 channel amp tends to be a little more accurate, especially in the lower octaves. A mono amp, on the other hand, will be more efficient, providing more power per amp draw and will run cooler. Remember though to pay attention to the type of amp it is. D class amps (almost always mono) run a lot more efficiently and a lot cooler. However most all D class designs have a 30 Hz infrasonic filter (meaning they cut out everything below 30 Hz). This is because they have very little control at that range. AB hybrid amps are usually 2 channel and usually sound a little better, although in the bass range it is hard to tell the difference. Also remember that D class amps only work for subs, they do not play full range (very few exceptions) while AB amps can do full range or sub only. This is important if you think you might upgrade down the road. An AB amp will be more flexible for future upgrades because it can be moved to other speakers if you get a bigger amp later.

Here's my opinion: I listen to a wide variety of music, but I love a good bass guitar riff. I have always liked AB amps (2 channel) for this reason. D class amps seem a little sloppy to me. I know some people will argue; let me say this is just my opinion.

The only D class amps I have really been impressed by are the JL slash series. These amps have great control, excellent low frequency extension, and lots of power. I'm sure there are other good D class amps out there; I have heard a lot of amps but I have not used everything.

I hope this answers your question. Let me know if there is anything more specific you want to know.

~Cory
Car Concepts SLC
Alpine F#1Status Certified
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic