icon

cant get tach signal to work, help

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
95stangw 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: February 05, 2004 at 10:04 PM / IP Logged  
I installed a prestige alarm/remote starter into a 96 toyota corolla. Initially i had a problem where nothing would  turn on. I have resolved that issue, the alarm functions properly except for the remote starter. Im supposed to program the tach rate into the alarm, but i cant get it to learn the signal. Im wondering if someone has done alarms on this same car if they can tell me where they got their tach signal from? I tried every single wire on the distributor except for the power one. The wiring diagrams say its a black wire, there are 2 at the distributor but still the alarm wont learn the tach rate. I know that sometimes wiring schematics are wrong, so thats why i want to know if someone has done this car, and if so where did you get your tach signal from? This is the only thing stopping me from my first succesful alarm install . thanks to anyone who helps me out.
chriswallace187 
Gold - Posts: 1,661
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 05, 2004 at 10:27 PM / IP Logged  
On Toyotas, a tach signal can usually be found at the distributor or the igniter; I'm not sure where the igniter is located on that year corolla, but usually it's on the driver's side fender or the firewall and it will say 'igniter' on it. You can also look for the test connector under the hood, and see if it has a wire going to the pin marked IG- , which is also a good tach signal.
If none of those work, than you can switch the remote start to work on voltage sensing (the instructions for the unit probably say that you have to have a tach wire, but then in the remote start programming section there are instructions to change it to voltage sense - go figure). I would strongly suggest using the tach wire though; I've never had much trouble learning it on a Toyota, and it's easier to learn the tach than to change the setting to voltage.
95stangw 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 05, 2004 at 10:49 PM / IP Logged  

I will look into the test connector, would i expect to see it on the left side or the right side of the engine bay? Im sorry im so ignorant even though im a tech, but i hardly ever work on imports. Do you know what wire it should be at the distributor? as mentioned i tried all of them except power and nothing.

Teamrf 
Gold - Posts: 1,031
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 05, 2004 at 11:40 PM / IP Logged  
What kind of alarm is it? If you are having a hard time learning the tach...I would suggest you use voltage sense if that is an option on that alarm.
~The Rookie~
Rookie of the year that is...
Don't let the smoke out of your equiptment..it doesn't go back in.
chriswallace187 
Gold - Posts: 1,661
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 06, 2004 at 12:09 AM / IP Logged  
I've seen the test connectors at various places in the engine bay on different Toyota models, but they're hard to miss; they have a flip open top piece that says "diagnostic" on top and when you open it it has a diagram of what the pins are. As far as getting the wire at the distributor, I'm not sure if I've ever gotten a tach wire there. Toyota always used external igniters to supply the ignition system, and they're usually more accessible to get at anyway.
mecpcert_1 
Copper - Posts: 83
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 06, 2004 at 3:43 AM / IP Logged  
the diagnostic plug should be on the driver's side shock tower. that's where it was at on my '94. ('94-'97 is the same body style)
do it right the first time....less warranty work=more money!:)
95stangw 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2004 at 9:15 AM / IP Logged  
Sorry it has taken so long for me to answer but i had to take an emergency trip out of town. I just finished installing the Viper 791xv into my mustang and it works perfectly fine, went without any trouble. Now the Toyota is a different thing, i still cant get a tach signal. I tried the Ign wire at the diagnostic connector and got nothing, I still havent tried the igniter and i want to know if anyone  knows the exact wire that has the tach signal. If i do switch the remote start to voltage sensing where do i hook it up to?
derek123 
Copper - Posts: 163
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2004 at 9:35 AM / IP Logged  

You should use a digital mutli meter ( set to AC) and find your own tach wire.

a tach will show you an AC signal while the engine is running, and will increase in voltage when the rpm of the engine increases.

Don't get in to the bad habit of relying on others to provide you with information, find it yourself, and then you know its right.

95stangw 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2004 at 10:36 AM / IP Logged  
derek123 wrote:

You should use a digital mutli meter ( set to AC) and find your own tach wire.

a tach will show you an AC signal while the engine is running, and will increase in voltage when the rpm of the engine increases.

Don't get in to the bad habit of relying on others to provide you with information, find it yourself, and then you know its right.

I dont rely on others to help me out, its just that as of right now i dont really want to even do this alarm.  I hate working on toyotas as im very ignorant as far as their wiring layouts go. On my mustang the diagram that is listed on this website and another that i got through an installer where wrong about the tach signal. I got my fluke multimeter out and found it myself, I had no problem with that. But on the toyota i have limited time to work on it, and i was hoping someone would know. If i had all the time i have with my own vehicle, believe me i wouldnt be asking.

profuse007 
Gold - Posts: 2,015
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2004 at 12:13 PM / IP Logged  
just try using voltsense if you cant get the tach to work.
toyota have two diagnostic connector, one at the passenger engine bay(rectangular flip box) and under the drivers dash(circle).
if theres a distributor, you can get it at the 4 wires connector.
the igniter is at the driver fender like someone mentioned.
Houston,TX
"The two most common elements in the universe are H+ and stupidity" (Ellison).
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic