icon

Does resin & mekp go bad?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Simplemitch 
Copper - Posts: 68
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 05, 2004 at 10:24 PM / IP Logged  
I'm working on my first fiberglass project since 7 years ago (where i did a patch...) and i'm having a problem. I'm making a speaker pod, kinda bullet shaped. I carved the base out of floral foam and then went to glass it. On my first try i tried to eyeball the resin/mekp mix and totally did not add enough hardner and during the night, the mix ate away alot of the foam and did not even remotely cure. So... i sculpted a new foam piece and this time i meticuosly measured the resin/mekp mix then glassed up the foam and let it set over night in my shop which is about 68 degrees. Much to my surprise, when i came in today, it still hadnt even BEGUN to set up. I thought at first that maybe it was a chemical reaction with the foam, but then i realized that even the resin mix in the mixing cup hadnt set up at all! The resin/mekp im using has been sitting on a shelf in my shop for like 2 or 3 years, so i was wondering... Does it go bad? or am i doing something wrong? one thing that struck me as odd was that i remember the resin getting hot when i did it 7 yrs ago, but these 2 times there seemed to be no reaction.......
Mitchell Whitney, Installer/technician
Mainstreet A/V
lspker 
Silver - Posts: 503
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 05, 2004 at 11:18 PM / IP Logged  
Yes, the hardener mekp will go bad.  Try some fresh hardener, should work.
Simplemitch 
Copper - Posts: 68
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 06, 2004 at 12:06 AM / IP Logged  
will do. thanks
Mitchell Whitney, Installer/technician
Mainstreet A/V
GMC4x4Guy 
Copper - Posts: 117
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 06, 2004 at 12:55 AM / IP Logged  
I'm pretty sure that the MEKP hardener does not go bad. Resin definitely does though.
"Drive it like you stole it"
beyondamfm 
Copper - Posts: 105
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 06, 2004 at 1:52 PM / IP Logged  
From expreience I would say it is the resin that goes bad not the MEKP hardener.
The Clear Bra Guy
KCs premiere paint protection guru
toosweetaudio 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: February 06, 2004 at 2:25 PM / IP Logged  
I used to work for a company who sold all fiberglass products and YES the resin will go bad after about 3 to 5 months and the hardener should last you about a year
Wherm 
Copper - Posts: 51
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2004 at 5:14 PM / IP Logged  

the resin goes bad, you could use a heat gun on it to start the hardening reaction.  My resin was about a year old and din't start to harden until i hit it with the heat gun.  This is a last resort only.  you have to be careful to not warp the mold cause of the heat.  recommended shelf life is 3 months

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic