icon

Stock HU and aftermarket speakers

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Terrandus 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: February 06, 2004 at 8:49 AM / IP Logged  

The last car I had I matched up the impedence with the speakers and head unit, all in all a straight foward and easy process. I've recently bought a new car and I like the stock head unit, plus it also houses some of the other features of the car such as the stock secruity system.

I was wondering if you can hook up aftermarket speakers to the stock unit.  My car is a 2000 malibu and I'm looking at putting in infinity kappa's. The 462.5cfp's (4" x6" ) up front and the 692.5i's ( 6" x 9" )in the back. Both speakers come with built in crossovers. The impendece of these speakers are 4 ohms. Can I hook these speakers up to the stock unit?

Of course, if any one has ideas or suggestions about how to replace the stock head unit and maintiain features such as the alarm system, I'm all ears. 

sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: February 06, 2004 at 2:59 PM / IP Logged  
You can replace the factory speakers with aftermarket onespeakers without any real problems. The only difference is that the factory deck may get a little warmer running four, four ohm speakers. There isn't any problem replacing the factory deck with an aftermarket unit. The only security involved is the factory radio's theft detterent system. There aren't any circuits in the radio that the car depends on.
sparky
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 06, 2004 at 7:18 PM / IP Logged  

I wouldnt reccomend hooking up kappas to a factory stystem. Trust me you will be wanting more power for these great speakers. Try using an LOC on the front and back speaker outputs on the factory deck then using that signal from the factory radio run it to a good 4 channel amp (JL e or / series or Rockford Fosgate). This will give you the power those speakers like. And why are you wanting to keep your factory radio for. They suk ,so I would reccomend doing the first option as something temporary if you do ,and then upgrading to a good Eclipse or Alpine Head-unit. Aftermarket head-units play CD much better then your stock deck and they have more features and options also.

customsuburb 
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 06, 2004 at 7:26 PM / IP Logged  

ohh yeah. since your car is a 2000 then it might have a class 2 data bus system in it(this means that your radio is sending the door chime and other warning/alert sounds through your front speakers right now. A simple way to find out if your car does have this system in it is to listen to the front door speakers with the door open. If you hear a chime coming from the front door speakers then you have a Class 2 data bus system. People like PAC make interfaces that let you still hear the chime and warnings. Another option is to relocate your factory deck but I dont really like this idea because you have to run a big wiring harness to where ever the radio is relocated to. Only do this if you dont want to buy the PAC interfaces.

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 06, 2004 at 8:51 PM / IP Logged  
Scosche has a great harness available for your vehicle if it does have the class II databus like was mentioned above. It is model# GM06 and is readily available. Have a look at www.scosche.com to see what it looks like. What this does is relocate the factory radio to the rear of the vehicle, thus all circuitry that is routed through it is still intact. You will also need the proper antenna adaptor and installation harness. I would definitely go with the new cd player and proper speakers in this vehicle, they sound much better when you do. Someone above mentioned an Eclipse cd player, music to my ears.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
Terrandus 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: February 07, 2004 at 1:54 PM / IP Logged  

customsuburb - do you have any links for the PAC interface?

I like the idea of compeletly replacing the head unit, just want to make sure I don't loose any anything in the process.

customsuburb 
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 07, 2004 at 2:57 PM / IP Logged  

I looked around a little and it looks like your malibu actually dosnt have the class 2 data bus system. You wont have to buy any special stuff since it dosnt. If you want to make sure it dosnt just try the test i mentioned above. You shouldnt hear the familiar door chime through the speakers if you dont have the class 2 data bus system. Go to the link below to look at the wiring harness and any other stuff you will need to install your new cd player. It looks like the kit you will need to install a new radio sticks out of the dash a little because the factory radio opening isnt deep enough. Otherwise nothing else really different from any other radio install. Hope it goes well!

Stuff you need for install of cd player:

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-cxLD2ytYAxp/ProdView.asp?s=0&c=11&g=112200&I=120923300P&o=m&a=1&cc=01&avf=Y

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-cxLD2ytYAxp/ProdView.asp?s=0&c=11&g=103000&I=120701858&o=m&a=1&cc=01&avf=Y

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-cxLD2ytYAxp/cgi-bin/prodview.asp?i=12040GM10&s=0&cc=01

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic