icon

Ported vs. Sealed?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
LeNa 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: February 07, 2004 at 2:37 AM / IP Logged  

I have 2 jl 12w7's, and cant decide on using a ported or a sealed box for them.  For the ported id use a 1.75 cubic ft tuned to 32 hz per box, and for the sealed id use a 1.4 cubic foot box.  This would be in the area where my backseat once resided in my 02 silverado 1500 xcab. My main focus is spl so no sq advice please.  Thanks for ur help.

staudio 
Member - Posts: 41
Member spacespace
Posted: February 07, 2004 at 3:29 AM / IP Logged  
If you want loud I belive ported boxes give you approximatly a 3 db increase so I'd say go with ported.
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 07, 2004 at 10:25 AM / IP Logged  
OK ported is usually 3 DB louder then a sealed but below the box's tuned frequency its output is going to drop off unlike a sealed box which also lets the sub have better power handling and a smoother frequency response. Either one is fine ,but ported is probobly fine for you.
SpankyJohnson 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: February 07, 2004 at 10:28 AM / IP Logged  
LeNa wrote:

I have 2 jl 12w7's, and cant decide on using a ported or a sealed box for them.  For the ported id use a 1.75 cubic ft tuned to 32 hz per box, and for the sealed id use a 1.4 cubic foot box.  This would be in the area where my backseat once resided in my 02 silverado 1500 xcab. My main focus is spl so no sq advice please.  Thanks for ur help.

If you plan on having those subwoofers for a while you'll seal them up. they are loud enough. thats my .02 cents

Port you can blow the sub e-z seal you'll have to work at it. ported boxes you do not need a lot of power to power them. look at the RMS and not the peak max stuff

Do you know Spankyjohnson? He's a Big man. I'll tell him you did his boys a favor
LeNa 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2004 at 2:58 PM / IP Logged  
I took your advice and went ported. I built the box yesterday and it turned out awesome. The box is huge but i have enuf room for it since i removed my seat. I cant wait till im completely done with the system and i can bump it. I still have to put down 2 more layers of fatmat, finish the cabinet where im goin 2 put the box and finish the front kick pods to finish of the front stage. Thanks for all of your advice.
dcgc 
Copper - Posts: 78
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2004 at 7:32 PM / IP Logged  
I don't think I would use JL 12w7 for anything other than SQ, for these are some great subs.
If I was to go all out for spl (with no rear seat), I would custom make a ported box for a pair of Brahma 15" push 3kW and shake the truck to pieces.
2003 Silverado Ext. cab
Kenwood mp922
Kenwood kgc6042a EQ
JL Audio xr650-csi
MB Quart PSC 213
JL Audio 300/4
pair of JL Audio 12w6v2
JL Audio 1000/1

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic